Egg bound hen (our very first chickens)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RichnSteph, Oct 14, 2014.

1. RichnSteph

RichnSteph Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    We picked up two Jersey Giants this afternoon from a fellow across town, they were raised together and docile enough that you can pick them up and pet them and that's what we want for our 16 month old daughter to get used to being around so she isn't afraid of them.

Long story short the guy pointed out that the one chicken has a large lump in her abdomen, says it's been there for a month or so, and that he doesn't know what it is.I felt it and it's soft like jello so my assumption is that the hen is egg bound but I've never read of one being egg bound for that long and not dying or requiring surgery/help. Both hens are approx 4 years old and up until this one developed the lump she was laying once a day just like her sister. We put them in the run I put down some fermented feed and BSF larvae and the cleaned it all up then hit the chicken nipples for water so they are both eating and drinking well. The lump doesn't seem to bother the hen but it concerns me a little. Yea I probably shouldn't have bought it but I wanted the pair to stay together.

I've read on here to give her a warm bath (will do tomorrow) and check her "vent" internally.... up I'm not sure I can do that but will read up on how to do so this evening. Quick question, will me checking her insides hurt her or do any damage?

Thank you for the help.
    RichnSteph.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It may be something to do with a reproductive problem such as internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, or ascites (which may be the spongey lump.) Ascites is fluid buildup in the abdomen from heart or liver failure, and can be a side effect of egg yolk peritonitis. Sometimes the ascites fluid can be removed with a needle to relieve pain and pressure. Here are a few links to hopefully help you:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/526089/egg-yolk-peritonitis
    http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/362422/drained-a-hens-abdomen-rest-in-peace-olivia-11-5-10
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/195347/my-ivy-latest-relapse-shes-gone

3. RichnSteph

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    Got her into a tub of warm water and massaged her for a while. I was able to get the mass to move a bit towards the vent and after actually opening the vent up with my finger *ick* I was able to feel the egg inside. It felt like a jello mold. While she was in the water she seemed to try to push a few times, her vent would compress around my finger and then push against it, and her tail came up. I thought she was going to lay it right there in the water but it didn't happen. I did have to laugh though because near the end of her "treatment" she fell asleep in my hands. Cutest darn thing.

We'll keep checking on her. We did add in 4 RIRs and a BO rooster to the flock.
    RichnSteph

4. toynutz

toynutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    Pacific NW
    If she does have an egg stuck in there, it needs to come out... you might want to repeat her spa treatment a few times until it does. And give her a Tums... extra calcium can also help them lay.

5. julierebek

julierebek New Egg

May 8, 2014
    I have an egg bound girl, except hers is high...in the breast. It's obviously an egg. How do I get it out? She eats and drinks and wanders around with the other girls, but it's weight is causing her to side step and she keeps pecking her feathers away from that area. She refuses to be caught. What can I do? I'm certain that I'm going to find a scene from "Aliens" one of these days.

6. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA

The lump in her breast is most likely her crop. Feel the lump and you should be able to feel the feed and maybe mushy from water. Does her head and mouth smell bad? If it is could be sour crop. If it is hard feels like a solid mass, impacted crop and unable to eat as it is partially blocked can also smell bad like rotting vegetation or bad smell.

You can look up sour crop and impacted crop for treatments. Below is a link for chicken anatomy, which makes me think it is her crop. Make another thread/post for more help if you have questions.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=chicken+anatomy&type=61

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  7. RichnSteph

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    I thought we had it out today. There was an egg in one of the boxes but it had been pecked a bit at one end and when I peeled it back a little it was a jello mold inside, not runny at all. Checked the egg bound one and she is still swollen in the same area although not as much. We will try the massage and bath again.

RichnSteph.

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Chickens usually don't live a month being egg bound, usually not more than a couple of days. You may need to consider some other problems, such as ones mentioned in post #2.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by