EGG BOUND HEN

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NYHenman81, Jan 22, 2015.

1. NYHenman81

NYHenman81 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2015
    Hi Again, I am still in the learning process with my Hens... I discovered today that I (once again) have an Egg Bound Hen... I had one last Spring and did the best I could, by the book to no avail. I thought this hen was just becoming Boody, but she is actually egg bound. How can I save this Hen? The Book says to immerse their lower body in Warm water, and using Vaseline try to reach the blockage (with a glove), and gently try to clear the blockage..... I really like my Hens and was willing to try this.... is there a better way/

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Soak her vent in warm water and yes, lubricate the area with olive oil so hopefully the egg can slip out. You want to avoid breaking the egg inside her, as that can cause infection. You will want to do this ASAP, an eggbound hen will die.

3. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

You can also give her some calcium even in the form of a crushed up Tums tablet to help get the muscles contracting and move that egg out...

4. hennible

5. NYHenman81

Jan 8, 2015
    Thanks for your comment Hennible... Yes... I do give them free choice crushed Oyster shells as well as Purina feed pellets..... the hen in question now cannot stand up by herself, occupies a nest box and will not eat but I have induced her to drink a tiny bit of water...I have to leave for work now and will revisit this tread as soon as I get home.... Thanks for your desire to help... !!

6. hennible

Try out the tums. Good luck.

7. NYHenman81

Jan 8, 2015
    Thanks Hennible for your suggestion of tums for my egg bound hen... I was not able to try that as she was "too far gone", but I will certainly keep that remedy in mind.... I hated to lose that hen (Or any of my hens, now down to 15)... at the last, she would no longer take water from my hand, and when I placed my hand on her wing, she would actually lean into it...... I treat my small flock very well, and don'y want any of them to die....Again, many thanks to you, and to this website that can help dummies like me...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by