Egg-bound OEG pullet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HouseCat, Dec 31, 2012.

1. HouseCat

HouseCat Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a bantam pullet that has been egg-bound for at least 5 days. When I first noticed it, I put some mineral oil down her vent and a few minutes later, a shell-less egg came out but I could still feel shelled egg further down. I let her rest for the evening hoping the second egg would pass but no luck.
    The consensus online seems to be to give her a warm bath for 30 minutes and keep her inside the house overnight. Apparently this relaxes the muscles and makes passing the egg easier. I did this 2 nights ago (for 45mins) and she has been inside our basement since without any progress.
    I know it's ill-advised but I was wondering what I have to lose by breaking the egg while it's inside her and flushing her out with saline? I'm assuming she'll die within the week if I do nothing as it is. Given the timing, I couldn't get into a vet until Wednesday and even then I'm not sure if a vet would be able to help me out. If anyone has any fresh ideas or advice, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks again for any help,
    hc

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Since you have tried everything I would just break it. Good luck.

3. Same here. Poor girl.

4. HouseCat

HouseCat Chillin' With My Peeps

I have heard that the likely outcome is a bacterial infection. Should I start her on an antibiotic beforehand and, if so, what kind? Thanks for the quick replies.

5. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I don't know what kind of antibiotics you would use.

6. probably penacillan. I would put this tread in the emergencys/diseses/injuries and cures forum--it might get replies more quickly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by