Egg bound or broody, please help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by horsefeathers09, May 8, 2011.

1. horsefeathers09

horsefeathers09 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I have a 7 mo orphington, she won't come out of the coop. Eating only enough to survive and poops one time a day. Is drinking but not much. It's over 100 degrees here so that is a huge concern. If I approach her she poofs out and sticks her butt in the air. She's been this way for over two weeks now. I moved her to our chicken hospital, removed all bedding and took away the nest boxes thinking she was just broody. If I take her from the coop she seems alert, pecks the ground for a minute or two and goes back to lay in the corner of the coop - where it's crazy insane hot. Hasn't layed for at least two weeks. What to do? Broody or egg bound? I feel no swelling, butt is clean. her color is somewhat pale during the day, but in the morning she looks ok. Please help, I've only been raising chickens for 3 years and haven't had any significant problems - til now. Thank you.

2. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I am hoping to get a reply on this also. I have a hen that has not laid since probably Feb. Lately she's been going into the nesting boxes at the hottest part of the day. 95 degrees outside. My coop is for the most part open air but there is not much breeze. Then she'll come out, peck around for awhile go back in the boxes.[​IMG]

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    The poofing out when touched and pooing once a day is classic broody behavior. Hopefully sequestering in the chicken hospital will break her of her boodiness and encourage her to drink water. you can do a search on breaking broody for other tips.

4. horsefeathers09

horsefeathers09 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Whew... thank you, broody I can handle, I'll do a search on how.

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    scratch'n'peck :

The poofing out when touched and pooing once a day is classic broody behavior. Hopefully sequestering in the chicken hospital will break her of her boodiness and encourage her to drink water. you can do a search on breaking broody for other tips.

I agree; the broody poo (one big, huge smelly dropping per day) is also a tell tale sign. When one of our hens was eggbound, she didn't sit in the nestbox, she sat on the ground of the run. That's apparently classic behavior, although sometimes an eggbound hen will sit in the nestbox, too.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by