Egg Bound or Disease or ???

RootsieTootsie

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2015
Kentucky {NorthCentral}
This is how I just found one of my 8mo EE layers - (a bit of hx: none of my 3 ee have layed but just a few times and I've had them since they were a few days hatched, while my comets are still going strong even now). I noticed a bit of blood from her right nostril and this mess. I cleaned her up and did feal an egg up in the tract but can't get it. After I cleaned her up, she started prolapsing again as if trying to lay. She is quite a bit calmer than her norm, but she is still eating and drinking. I sprayed Vetericyn VF on her and isolated her. Experienced folks please guide me on what to do now. Thanks!
[/IMG][/IMG]

In the cases of prolapse with our hennies we have found it best to apply a hemorrhoid cream, such as PrepH or something else available in pharmacies - it reduces the swelling apparently and the body just "sucks it in" again. even in cases where it had been out for a while and the tissue started to die (a crust formed), the crust fell off and the rest successfully went in on its own. Pushing it in at this point wouldn't be so successful perhaps because it would fall out again as soon as she poops. Sutures are an option if you have a vet available who knows about birds (anesthetic etc). I know a pigeon who wasn't so successful with the creams and had to have 3 surgeries to have it fixed, but at least in our experiences it always went well with the cream only, maybe we've been lucky.

Indeed, I learned a LOT from this forum and I often run the suggestions by our vet (we are lucky I guess to have an avian/exotic vet and he is awesome). I am thankful for this place so now I can also begin to share my own experiences and what helped/didn't help. I hope your girl feels better soon. Keep away from others for now as they will want to pick on her for sure. Good luck!!

OK...if you do not have any Prep H;;;Honey is wonderful for a prolapse;..it is anti bacterial and will shrink the prolapse...

Isolate the chicken as a first measure....you can bathe her backside and clean her up...apply honey or Prep H....keep her in a darkened area...this will prevent her from attempting to lay any further eggs... she needs to rest and recuperate..keep her backside clean with regular bathing and application of honey or Prep H...you can attempt to push the prolapse back inside her when you are bathing her...you need to get that prolapse back inside her as bacteria will eventually take over and that is not a good sign...if you feel she has a bacterial infection you can use an antibiotic...such as Baytril or Oxytetracycline...

If you need any further help...please post again!

She continues to prolapse, only on the right side. No egg layed, wandering if a gizzard feels like an egg? It's about 2 inches in. She looks like the others pecked at her a lot before I figured out she was in trouble and isolated her, as she has what resemble skin tags around the edges of the vent. Do I need to do warm baths with epsom salts and keep pushing it back in so tissue doesn't die, but what keeps it in if no sutures? If this were only a hefer... out of my element here.

Thank you!
There are no vets near (within an hour) that will care for poultry. I have experience as a vet asst with small & large animals, including farm calls and stockyards, but I am just learning as I go on poultry.
I haven't been successful in finding local folks to consult with, so I'm thankful for this community and google!

I am heading to Tractor Supply now for other supplies. I already have Penicillan on hand, should I get something different for this hen while I'm there? I feel like she needs the infection/disease addressed asap. She continues to "leak" puss/blood. Not as much as when found, but still ongoing. Thanks!

Finally had to intervene. She has been having contractions for a steady 24 hours. She seemed better when soakong in warm water, so has been in there often. Tissue was better, but still not staying in. She finally got the egg to the end of the vent, but couldn't pass it, the tissue got enormous. She kept pushing, the tissue kept tearing and she was clearly in unbearable pain. So, I could either apply pressure and rip the vent all the way down to get the egg out the end or let it rip through the only minimal amount of very very thin tissue left intact on the side where it was lodged and trying to push through. I chose the side. It was the least amount of tearing. It came out hanging in a bag, bag still attached. Tried to focus on her tissue after got egg out. A thin lining filled and empited with air as she breathed. Then, popped. Then she vomited a very bit of yellow/brown. She is still pushing and each time it sounds like flatulance. Her tissue won't stay inside yet. I think she needs to be culled at this point. Even if she recovers from this (I have my doubts), I don't think she is healthy as she very rarely has laid and now this issue. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom