egg bound or just taking her time

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by max101, Apr 9, 2009.

1. max101

max101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    newcastle Australia
    hi I have a 7 month hen she laid her first egg for me day before yesterday I have only had her about 2 weeks. To day she is running in and out of her boxs scratching around in their but nothing has happened. She has been doing this for over an hour now. She has finished moulting and it is autumn here in australia. Could she be egg bound as I have read a lot about that on byc or am I paranoid. My roo is only 15 weeks old he did try to mate with her the day before. Is there any chance he is fertile or a too young. She is eating fine wont stop lol.

2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Hi!

She sounds soo sweet! I wouldn't start worrying yet. She is new at this and her body is adjusting. From your description, she feels fine. When they are egg bound, it is pretty obvious something is the matter. Sounds like she's going to lay another egg soon...or maybe she's just entertaining herself.

Oh, and I think your boy is a little too young to be producing babies although he will be in a few weeks. Have fun with your feathered friends!

3. max101

Mar 16, 2009
    newcastle Australia
    [​IMG]:jumpyThank you I think I maybe a bit over anguish. I would love to have a couple of little feet running around [​IMG]

4. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    [​IMG] I know how you feel!! [​IMG]

5. max101

Mar 16, 2009
    newcastle Australia
    [​IMG] After all that fussing around my silkie did she laid her egg stared at it for a while then just left it. What a chook does to lay an egg lol and then it came bluey coloured [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by