1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

egg bound? or something else?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OmyChickens, Feb 22, 2012.

1. OmyChickens

OmyChickens Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2011
    Pasa-Get-Down-Dena
    So my BO looks like shes egg bound.. Fluffed feathers, bobbing of the tail, looks to be straining as if she were trying to poop... the thing is.. she layed this morning..

could this be the calcium deficiency ive been hearing about? or something else?

shes eating.. but shes acting sick. shes my shadow but not today.. she will let me inspect her and pet her to my hearts content.. but nothing else..

Her vent looks normal.. i didnt stick an oily finger in there but i felt around underneath her and around her sides.. nada.. no masses, no weird parasites, nothing..

any thoughts?
    thanks!

2. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    one of the things I just read is that ASA or asprin can help a egg pund hen it reduces the swelling so that an egg will dislodge and helps with pain -if your wrong it isn't anything that can hurt them use ASA chickens to read on the idea
    5grains in a gallon of water --- hope she gets better

3. OmyChickens

Nov 22, 2011
    Pasa-Get-Down-Dena
    Thanks! I will look into it!

4. OmyChickens

Nov 22, 2011
    Pasa-Get-Down-Dena
    So as with anything there Is good news and bad news.. With the BO, I tried a warm bath first to see if she would rest and relax. She looked at me like I was crazy. So I put her back out to do more research. She was perky and catching bugs and just like new! So the good news- she's not egg bound. The bad news. I have a chicken that now knows how to get a spa day. :/ And I don't know what her issue was.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by