1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg bound or sterile?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mizzq, Dec 23, 2012.

1. mizzq

mizzq Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2012
    Montana
    This is the first year of having chickens. I am currently wintering 10 hens. For the last three or for days I have 1 hen that just lays in the nesting box. It is apparent she does come out to go but than she goes right back in. When I move her to check for eggs she pecks at me and I do not find eggs. She is not interested in the"treats" I take out each night either. "Treats" being any fruits or vegetables I have in the house. I do not know what to do for her, let alone what may be wrong with her. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] It sounds as if you have a broody hen. She wants to become a mother.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  3. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    Sounds like she is broody to me to. I would just leave her alone for the winter.

4. mizzq

mizzq Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2012
    Montana
    So is it normal for her to not be laying eggs than?

5. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    Yes that is normal.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Is she on the nest at night too, instead of roosting?

She sounds like she is broody - meaning she wants to sit on a clutch of eggs and raise chicks. It is a hormonal change in them. If you do not want her hatching babies, then search for "breaking a broody". Most hens will not give up on their own, and it can affect their health. They do not lay eggs while brooding.

7. mizzq

mizzq Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2012
    Montana
    Not sure if she is in the box at night as well. I do really appreciate the help from everyone. Thank you!

8. Marney

Marney Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2012
    I am in the same position - my silkie has just become broody for the first time. Very scary, I thought she was dying!

9. mizzq

mizzq Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2012
    Montana
    After I discussed my issue with everyone here I went out and bought a metal dog crate to put my hen in. I tied it to the roost to get her off the floor. It was a big fight to get her in, let alone to keep her in while I was trying to change her water and food. I felt so bad having to keep her separate from the other birds. I kept her in for about 3 days. I than decided to let her out and see what happens. So far she has not confined herself back to the nesting box. She seems to be back to her normal self. I went out the other night to tend to the chickens and found a "mini" egg. She is back to laying again! I am so excited. Thanks so much for all the great advice.

10. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I have a couple of BOs that go broody on me from time to time. One of them, I can just pick up and take out of the nest box, no problem. The other, is another story, she'll squalk, growl, and even scream ( I swear it sounds like she is screaming NOOOOOO NOOOOOOO) when I go to pull her out of the box. And with her, it's a good idea to have gloves. The first time she went broody, I reached in there to grab the eggs, she bit and opened up the back of my hand. She's like a pirahna in there. Talk about Dr. Jeykle and Mr, (Mrs) Hyde.
    It is though, a good idea, if you don't want her to raise a brood of chicks to have a broody buster box/cage standing by. It's tough on them to sit there all day with limited food and water intake.
    Jack

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by