Egg bound or Vent Gleet? - Advice please

Melymark

Chirping
Jul 22, 2020
My favorite hen is about 6 months old. We are in Ontario, where winter is snowy & cold. She just started laying eggs about a month ago, and I am wondering if she is egg bound. Her laying is really hit and miss, and lately her bottom is a mess.....Full of white yellowish runny discharge. I have been trying to clean her bottom every few days, but noticed today she is very lethargic and not at all herself. Her poop was mostly watery, and she seems to be straining and possibly in pain when she poops. She is not at all herself. She is fluffed up and not moving, and not interested in food or drink. She will eat a little snow. She also has a small amount of discharge from one nostril. All the other hens are acting normal.
Advice please? I was thinking maybe a warm bath, to help with gleet or a bound egg? My only worry is the change of temperature. It’s cold in the coop (will be -20 tomorrow) and warm inside the house for a bath. Should I separate her for a few days and keep her Inside?

Thank you for the advice!

I have not. I am just learning chickens. What should I do? She is my sweetest hen. She actually doesn’t live on our property (we aren’t allowed hens in the city) so she is on a farm about 45 minutes away. I am debating bringing her here. She is the sweetest little hen, usually very excited to see us and super social and cuddly. She is definitely not feeling well. I will take some photos.

If she's not feeling well, then it may be a good idea to get her.

It can be hard to tell if the discharge you see is mucous, poop, albumen (egg white) or possibly Vent Gleet. Once you get her and clean her up, hopefully you can tell more.
I would gently feel inside her vent for an egg once you give her a wash up too.
She may be struggling with an egg.
Check how her crop feels, see if it empties overnight.

For a bird that is not well, hydration is most important, so do what you can to get fluids into her. A little sugar water or electrolytes may be enticing.

Her poop seems like mucus (long strings sticking from her vent as it falls), with some green and yellowish in it. Very watery. I will go pick her up tomorrow and bring her here. I wanted to make sure she would be okay with the extreme temperature change, from outside to inside. I have a playpen she can sleep in, that we will fill with with wood shavings. Any special steps after bathing her in warm water?
Thank you again so much! I appreciate the advice.
If she is away from her flock for 24 hours or more, will it be a problem reintroducing her?

Her crop felt very full today, although you can visibly see she has lost weight in the last week.

Had she been eating for you went and got her?
The best way to check a crop is feel it first thing in the morning before they eat/drink, it should be empty.

After cleaning her up, you may want to dry her a little, even though she's inside. If she's not well, then you don't want her to chill.

You mention mucous coming from the vent - is that clear? Like egg whites (albumen)? Any bad odor/yeasty smell?

Picked up little Flower and brought her home. She perked up a little in the warm water. The first picture is before the bath, and the others are after. Whatever is coming out of her vent is slimy and attached. I couldn’t get it all off. She seems uncomfortable and wants to stand tall. I just am drying her now. She didn’t want food or water, but will eat a few red grapes, which is her favorite treat. Her poo is different today. Foamy.
I will try feeling inside her vent shortly

Attachments

• 45148BF5-2AF2-4A3B-8577-E4A67EAC1F31.jpeg
    45148BF5-2AF2-4A3B-8577-E4A67EAC1F31.jpeg
    523.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 7FC7AA83-0A4D-4BD5-B330-62BF18E05651.jpeg
    7FC7AA83-0A4D-4BD5-B330-62BF18E05651.jpeg
    201.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 3EEFACF7-8E64-4EF1-B8D2-755FAD655C12.jpeg
    3EEFACF7-8E64-4EF1-B8D2-755FAD655C12.jpeg
    419.2 KB · Views: 33
  • FD88F390-BECF-4BD5-B990-F0DCCE81ABBA.jpeg
    FD88F390-BECF-4BD5-B990-F0DCCE81ABBA.jpeg
    635 KB · Views: 31
I can feel an egg in her vent! What do I do? She strained so hard afterwards and can’t get it out

Back
Top Bottom