1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg bound or what?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Areeba, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Areeba

Areeba Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2011
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hi all,
    Hope you all are doing fine, I need your help regarding my red golden pheasant. She is not eating anything but she is drinking water a bit. Sh is in this condition for the past 36 hours or so. Her tail is a bit high when she sits or stands.It seems to me an egg bound or anything else related to an egg. Now what should I do? Any suggestions / advice will be highly appreciated.
    Thankyou.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Have you posted on the pheasant thread? I know a little about chickens but not pheasants. Could she be dehydrated? I would give her electrolytes and vitamins, and offer bits of egg, and the usual feed. Most people check inside the vents of chickens for an egg with a finger exam, but better to get info from others in this case.

3. Areeba

Oct 31, 2011
    Nops..actually she is in her egg laying season. She is not eating anything . I have given her water with electrolytes.
    What do you think is she egg bound?
    She has not pooped yet except for a white sticky liquid.

4. Areeba

Oct 31, 2011
    Can you please tell me common symptoms of an egg bound chicken and other issues related to egg. What about the tail, egg bound chicken s have droopy tails or tails going upwords?

Thankyou.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Symptoms of egg binding are sitting most of the time, going in and out of the nest box, not passing solid droppings, but having watery ones, not eating or drinking, straining, and pale color. Feel inside the vent with a finger an inch or so to feel for a stuck egg. Low calcium levels, too large of an egg, and dehydration can cause egg binding, so replacing fluids and calcium may help. The tail position may not always be an indicator of this.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by