Egg bound or worse?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FingerLakesChick, Jun 3, 2008.

1. FingerLakesChick

FingerLakesChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Western New York
    I have a sneaky suspicion that my year old hen, Marilyn, may be egg bound. I noticed last night she is very lethargic and just sort of stands around or lays down. She slept on the floor of the coop in a bedding nest I made for her all night last night. This morning she is still just standing around, in a sleep like trance. She's also had watery diarhea for 2 days. While I was checking on her she laid a soft shelled egg, like a little water balloon. The diarhea is just like water and there is no odor at all to it. Anyone have any ideas?

2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    I am assuming she is on layer feed now ... do you give scratch or a lot of treats?
    Do you offer oyster shell free choice?
    You can do a few things ... Polyvisol (three drops a day in beak for one week and taper off the next) will correct any vit D insufficiency...
    Give a crushed up TUM just in case she has another "backed up" and offer her some live culture yogurt (very nutricious and a quick easy metabolized source of calcium) >>>keep a good eye on her the coming few days.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  3. FingerLakesChick

FingerLakesChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Western New York
    Yes all my hens are on layer feed and have been for quite a while. They currently do not get any scratch treats. They do get black oil sunflower seeds sprinked in their layer pellets though. And they get fresh spinach and/or apples in the morning. They have access to crushed oyster shell and grit 24/7. Plus they are let out to free-range each day around 10:30. I just went home to check on her and she seems to have perked up. I think after laying that soft egg she may be feeling better. She is drinking water, have not seen her eating though. I'll try the yogurt when I go home at lunch time. Thank you!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by