Egg bound or?

petrab1

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2021
Aloha
One of our RIR is not standing up and keep contracting... I gave her a warm bath and she relaxed. She does not eat or drink and keeps pushing. I gave her water with Ca in syringe. I also did a gentle exam but did not feel an egg. Her abdomen is distended and big and she keeps pushing. She is in a warm cozy place by herself (on a hot water bottle) but I'm not sure what else to do. Any suggestions are so welcome!

Is she able to poop? I know that you checked to see if you could feel an egg, but did you feel for any broken egg shell pieces? You can administer calcium to help her contract more to help with laying. Do you have any calcium citrate or even calcium carbonate?

Is she able to poop? I know that you checked to see if you could feel an egg, but did you feel for any broken egg shell pieces? You can administer calcium to help her contract more to help with laying. Do you have any calcium citrate or even calcium carbonate?
Thanks Heather. I don't know if she is pooping - none seen all day so probably not... No eggshells either. I put some calcium citrate in her water that I gave with pipette...

Did you put any Epsom Salt in her warm water soak? That will also help relax her. Make sure you put her somewhere nice and comfortable with privacy. I like a quiet dimly lit room for them while they're going through this.

Thanks Heather. I don't know if she is pooping - none seen all day so probably not... No eggshells either. I put some calcium citrate in her water that I gave with pipette...
It'd probably be a good idea to administer the calcium citrate in it's full dosage orally, unless it was dissolved and she took ALL of it in that water. They need a good higher calcium citrate boost in times like these.

Edited to add - You're welcome. I hope she's starting to feel better very soon. My thoughts are with you and her both

Did you put any Epsom Salt in her warm water soak? That will also help relax her. Make sure you put her somewhere nice and comfortable with privacy. I like a quiet dimly lit room for them while they're going through this.
no I did not. I will try epsom salt. She is in a box with a heating lamp and a hot water bottle

It'd probably be a good idea to administer the calcium citrate in it's full dosage orally, unless it was dissolved and she took ALL of it in that water. They need a good higher calcium citrate boost in times like these.
oh ok. I took a calcium citrate pill (human supplement) and dissolved in water. Do you think I should pipette several ml?

You can do these warm epsom salt warm water soaks every 3 hours. If she hasn't pooped all day, this is an emergency.

Yes, please give her more calcium citrate. I've given a bantam pullet an entire tablet (human calcium citrate). Opened her beak and put it in. I also have a hen with laying issues and she also gets a whole tablet anytime she's having trouble laying

You can also use a syringe (without a needle of course) to lube up her vent with olive oil. Just pull a little bit of olive oil up in the syringe and then very gently insert the tip only of the syringe just into the vent and very slowly and very gently inject some oil into the vent. Just be very gentle. This also works like an enema if there is poop, so be aware of that. This was suggested to me whenever I had a bantam pullet that I thought was egg bound but she was actually sick. (I'm saying this so you'll know that it's something that was suggested by a very knowledgeable and experienced member here on BYC)

How long has it been since you felt for an egg?

You can do these warm epsom salt warm water soaks every 3 hours. If she hasn't pooped all day, this is an emergency.

Yes, please give her more calcium citrate. I've given a bantam pullet an entire tablet (human calcium citrate). Opened her beak and put it in. I also have a hen with laying issues and she also gets a whole tablet anytime she's having trouble laying
ok thank you. I just gave her 400 mg CaCi.... and I will do a soak soon again. Does it sound like eggbinding to you; laying down, will not use legs, wings spread, contracting continuosly....while alert and good looking?

Back
Top Bottom