Egg bound parakeet

Chicken Bone

In the Brooder
Nov 13, 2020
I have an egg bound parakeet. In my attempts to free her of her egg she jumped out of my hand and broke the egg. I would call a vet, but all vets near me are closed and will stay closed till Monday, and I can not wait that long. I just need to know if I can save her or if she needs to be put down. If so I would like tips on how to do so.
I don't want her to be in pain and it would be very appreciated if anyone could reply.

Last edited:
I have an egg bound parakeet. In my attempts to free her of her egg she jumped out of my hand and broke the egg. I would call a vet, but all vets near me are closed and will stay closed till Monday, and I can not wait that long. I just need to know if I can save her or if she needs to be put down. If so I would like tips on how to do so.
I don't want her to be in pain and it would be very appreciated if anyone could reply.
How do you know she broke the egg? Is she throwing up the egg or pooping the egg's insides? If it indeed broke inside her, nothing much you can do. I'm afraid she will cross the rainbow bridge. Make her as comfortable as you can. Dim lighting and a soft towel is the best. Make sure she isn't pooping blood or throwing up blood. If so, then putting her down can be a choice of yours. I hope she survives.

How do you know she broke the egg? Is she throwing up the egg or pooping the egg's insides? If it indeed broke inside her, nothing much you can do. I'm afraid she will cross the rainbow bridge. Make her as comfortable as you can. Dim lighting and a soft towel is the best. Make sure she isn't pooping blood or throwing up blood. If so, then putting her down can be a choice of yours. I hope she survives.
Hi, thank you for you advice. She is now flying in heaven where she is no longer in pain.

Back
Top Bottom