egg bound/prolapse?? What to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Alley, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Alley

Alley Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    Eureka, California
    Hi all,
    My 2 year old White leghorn has a cherry bubble by her vent that seems to go in and out. I gave her a warm bath to clean the poop off of her and I noticed she has a milky discharge. Is she egg bound? She's eating, running around the yard and has layed an egg within the last few days. The only reason I noticed is because she seemed a little puffed up and then I noticed she had the bubble. I put some hemorroid cream on her vent, any other suggestions? Please advise... this is the first time I've had an egg bound girls

Thank you!!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    do you think this might have happened when she laid her last egg? sometimes you can put the prep h on and very carefully push it back in. You just don't want it to dry out... Have you been able to feel around her lower abdomen to see if you can feel anything out of the ordinary? soaking might help. the most important thing here is to not let it dry out.

3. Alley

Oct 23, 2008
    Eureka, California
    The buldge went back in? Is that normal?

Thanks for your response.
    I love Diva, she's my favorite bird.

4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I had this happen with ducks before, it was caused from laying big eggs but i was able to push it back in, very gently and with lots of vaseline. The muscles in a chickens vent are looser than a ducks though so i don't know if it would stay. if it went back in on it's own i would just keep an eye on her and if it happens again you may have to place it for her. hopefully it's just a one time thing and wont continue to happen.

5. Alley

Oct 23, 2008
    Eureka, California
    I just checked on her and she's doing fine... it stayed in and she's scratching around the yard.

6. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

good to hear [​IMG]

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thats great to hear just watch her close and next time she lays be sure to check her to make sure it's not out again... with a prolapse they'll even tell ya to put her in a dark room so she won't lay for a while. Just in case it was to happen again, but lets hope it doesn't..[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by