Egg bound? Prolapse?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sebocat, Nov 24, 2012.

1. sebocat

sebocat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2012
    Sterling, AK
    I'm relatively new to this game. Chicken on the ladies this am, and have a bit of an emergency.

My 24 week Americana has quite a bit of blood, some white stuff ( poo?) and either a prolapsed vent or egg binding issue. Can't tell, too much blood. ( a little goes a long way)

What to do??? Help!

2. sebocat

Apr 27, 2012
    Sterling, AK
    Eeew.... Got a soft shelled egg out, vent looks horrid...soaked her hiney in warm water and put her back in the coop. Will check in an hour....

I think we are ok for now. I think that was her first egg. Do I need to be worried past this, or is the worst over..??

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If she is still prolasped, you should clean it and put her by herself so the others can't peck at it.

4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    x2 the others will peck at her and could pull her ovaries and other stuff out.

5. chickypoo4

chickypoo4 New Egg

Aug 1, 2010
    I am by no means an authority on chickens and their emergencies, however, from what I have read the first response seems to be the warm bath(soak chicken in warm water deep enough to immerse vent area)
    next; determine f you are dealing with a prolapse(would be just soft tissue) or an egg.
    If you think it is a prolapse , I would apply gentle pressure with a warm moistened towel to GENTLY return to place. I have read an ointment of preparation H helps to decrease the inflammation.
    If you think there is an egg up there(and geez I am kind of dealing with the same thing myself and can not bring myself to do this)
    With gloved hand apply a lubricant to vent area(KY jelly is mentioned). Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens" recommends "gently inserting lubricated finger to help maneuver egg, while the other hand against the abdomen to gently help work egg out. Be careful not to break the egg or tear delicate tissue"
    My girl (as I write)has a skinny egg shaped yellowy white thing there that she seems unable to pass. I dont know why as it seems skinnier than an egg. I am afarid if I attempt to "gently move with my finger" I will only make matters worse for her.
    So I wish you much luck !

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Your advise is correct... As for your hen, it sounds like a smaller version of what my hen died from. Does it happen to look like the yellow stuff in this picture?

[​IMG]

7. sebocat

Apr 27, 2012
    Sterling, AK
    The prolapsed part is still out, looks dark. I don't think she is going to make it and I don't know how to put her down. I'm home alone and **** near hysterical. What do I do? I love this bird, this hurts....

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you take a picture of it? All of mine have recovered from a prolapse, so don't give up just yet.

9. sebocat

Apr 27, 2012
    Sterling, AK
    The tissue looks dark tho, she is not eating. She is still alert, but I can tell she is getting tired. I coated it w preparation h, lubed it w vitamin e oil - only thing I had - and tried to gently push it back in but can't. It's dark red and bruised and dying looking tissue about the size of an egg yolk.

10. sebocat

Apr 27, 2012
    Sterling, AK
    well, I took the darling over to a good friend who has had chickens for years and she bathed and lubed the chicken and got the innerds back in. She said the little pullet seems to be doing OK and may have a fighting chance. I am torn and dont want to prolong the suffering, but I also love the little thing and want her to make it. I am going to give her 24 hrs and reassess. One day at a time.

I pick her up from my friend's house in a few hours and will take her home.

I live in Alaska, and its -10 now. I'm a little afraid that if the pullet makes it, I am going to have an inside chicken till spring.

God help me. The things I do for my animals......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by