1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg bound pullet, eggs last night. advice please!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LaurelRidgeDreams, Nov 1, 2010.

1. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Earlier tonight I posted on the emergencies page that one of my BAs, 8 months old, was egg bound or had a broken egg inside. Thanks to the advice on BYC, I brought her into a steamy bathroom in a dog carrier. Within 30 min. she had passed an egg with a thick membrane instead of a shell. I checked her again a few min. later and she had layed another membrane/not shelled egg. Both eggs were a runny mess. I feed 20% layer feed, Super Breeder, and provide free choice oyster shell in the coop and in the run. She's been laying for 2 months and her eggs have always had beautiful hard shells. Last normal egg was last Saturday. What could be causing this and is it unusual?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  2. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Had the same thing happen to me as well. After asking many people and doing me research my conclusion was that it is just part of a pullet on her way to becoming a hen. The soft egg got stuck and could of backed everything up and could of messed up the shell development of the next gg in line to be layed. I was also told stress can bring this on as well. She went a couple days of no laying but was soon back to her old self. I would keep an eye on her just make sure she is not showing any more signs of being egg bound.

3. LaurelRidgeDreams

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    She seems better this morning. Hard to tell though, she's still in the dog carrier. I'm thinking I will let her out in the coop later this morning and see how she moves around and eats/drinks. Is it okay if I let her out?

4. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    I would say let her out if she looks good to you in the carrier. It can be hard to tell with her away from the flock. And that in itself can be causing a little stress/confusion for her. Keep an eye on her in the coop/run if you can and bring her back in if she appears out of sorts.

5. LaurelRidgeDreams

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    I just let her out. She is definitely better. First thing she did was fly up to the roost and shake out her feathers. She also ate this morning before I took her back to the coop, soaked layer crumbles. There were two runny eggs in the carrier both with thick membranes instead of shells. She also pooped after passing the eggs and the poops looked better than I had expected. Color was normal and contained white parts. It's still dark outside. All pullets are in the run now with a very dim hanging light. It will be interesting to see how she is once it's light outside.

I sprinkled oyster shells on the floor of the run to encourage her and others to eat more calcium. Sure hope this is over for now. Is there anything else I need to do right now?

6. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    You did very well and now it's just a wait and see game. [​IMG]

7. LaurelRidgeDreams

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    She's in the coop, acting normal, but is now in a nest box. She does not appear to be in any distress. Could she be ready to lay an egg after laying two membrane eggs between 9:30 and 10:30 last night? She layed a normal egg last Saturday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by