Egg bound Pullet?? GETTING WORSE. PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SilkiesForEver, Sep 11, 2012.

1. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    I have a silkie pullet who is about 8 months old. She laid her first egg on the ground and hasn't laid since. Yesterday I noticed that her vent looked swollen, I picked her up and looked closely at it, it looked like she was trying to push out an egg but it wasn't coming out. Maybe she's egg bound?
    Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Sounds like it to me. Put her in a quiet location, or give her a nice long warm bath. 30 minutes.

3. aoxa

Do not probe her vent. This will not help. Lubing it up does not help either. Putting lube on her vent is as good as putting it on your left ear. Quiet, dark, warm, and wet heat.

I created a little steamroom for my pullet.

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Can you feel the egg around her vent? Be careful if you can because you do not want to break the egg. If you feel the egg you will need to lube the egg inside her. What happened was the egg dried up inside her & she can't push it out. This happened to one of mine & this is what & avian vet did. He however told me that if the egg passes after being lubed it could possibly happen again & continue to happen. Not always but you never know.
    Mine layed the egg but it happened again but the second time the egg broke inside her & she had fever & was in a lot of pain so I chose to put her down. Is your chicken walking like a penquin & real lethargic ?

5. SilkiesForEver

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    No she is acting completely normal. I haven't noticed any behavior changes. I read online that giving olive oil in their feed will help, so I'm feeding her bread soaked in olive oil. Thanks for your help!

6. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Well, good luck with her. She doesn't seem to be egg bound. Give her some yogurt.

7. SilkiesForEver

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Okay thanks!

8. aoxa

Once the egg breaks inside them, there is not much you can do but offer antibiotics right away to prevent infection. I've lost one to this so far :( One I had recover. I think my last one was a broken egg inside her, because there was shells in her pen, and she laid a shelless egg a few weeks before. It was my only guess. She was a new layer too. It was really touch and go for a week. Finally back to normal.

If they do it twice in a season, it's best not to breed them.

9. SilkiesForEver

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Thanks axoa, I'll keep that in mind. [​IMG]

10. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Exactly, I hated loosing the girl but it was what I thought was best for my flock. I try & do whats best for my flock. I hatch & raise everything from my birds . I'm living & learning more everyday. I'm not looking for show quality just good layers. Its a challenge but its what I do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by