Egg bound quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Snozzle, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Snozzle

Snozzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    I am new to quail. A few weeks ago I was selling a chicken and a small group of coturnix quail were offered to me and I couldn't resist and I enjoy them so much that a few days later I added several more. I have a few jumbo browns, 1 tuxedo, 1 red, 1 texas white and a pair of Cinnamon's and a bunch of eggs cooking in the incubator. I learned how to vent sex them which was easy since they are adults. I ended up with 8 females, but I have been getting 7 eggs every day and one of my girls was very poofed up and walking low to the ground this morning, not looking sick, but rather uncomfortable. Usually they all come running when I bring them food and treats in the morning, but she didn't, but went inside their house instead. I checked again a few minutes later and this time I couldn't even tell which one it was and everyone was running and pecking, no one looked bad, but no eggs were laid since then. I was wondering could she be egg bound? What would it look like if she was? I have never had an egg bound chicken either, so I have absolutely no experience with it.
    Also what kind of food is best for them? There isn't much info on it that I could find. Right now I am feeding a mix of Dumor poultry layer crumble mixed with parakeet food and meal worms as treats, plus whatever grass and bugs they find in their run.
    My last question is about the eggs. I have been getting cream colored eggs with dark brown spots, but there is usually a large egg that is a greenish color with light brown spots. All the girls are jumbo browns except one and she is a cinnamon color, would that be her egg or does that even have anything to do with their own color or rather age or other factors?
    Thank you for any help!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Is she still walking or acting funny? You can feel around her abdomen, between her legs and around her vent on the outside and see if you feel an egg. Push lightly on the vent and see if you can feel an egg there. If she is egg bound, you can soak the bird in warm water for 15 mins or so and sometimes that will help a stuck egg out.

Many times when you bring new birds home, the do stop laying. They need to readjust. And sometimes moving new birds will have them laying soft shelled eggs also.

Keep an eye on her for a few days.

You need to get them on some gamebird food. Something with more protein than chicken feed. Between 24% and 30% is good. If you have males in with these girls, you don not want them on layer feed. Too much calcium for them to process. You can feed Turkey feed also. Starters, grower or flight conditioning feeds for quail or gamebirds.

Offer up crushed oyster shell for the layers.

Treats of seed are ok, but occasionally. Greens, and such are good as well.

3. Snozzle

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    She wasn't acting different last time I checked, but as soon as I see her doing it again I will feel for eggs. They should have adjusted by now, I have had them for a couple of weeks and they have much more space now then they had before.
    Well the stuff I'm feeding is actually supposed to be for quail too, but's it's not high enough in protein. I can only find starter gamebird food, I have yet to find adult gamebird food and I have looked in 3 different stores already. So is it ok then to feed the adult males starter food?
    Thanks for all the advice!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Lots of folks feed starter feed all through out the life of quail. So that is just fine if that is all you can find. Any feed with protein of 24% to 30% is good. Most starter is between 26% and 30%.

5. Snozzle

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    I figured out what was going on, she had an abcess on her foot. I drained it and cleaned it, she should be getting better soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by