Egg bound? Very Swollen abdomen

Spring Chickens

Chirping
Jul 6, 2020
I’ve noticed my hen waddling slowly for the last few days and today even slower and sitting frequently. Not eating, runny poop, closing eyes and tail bobbing while she is laying down. Panting.
She has all the symptoms of being egg bound and a very swollen but soft (like a balloon) abdomen.
But I checked inside and I don’t think I felt an egg?
Any ideas would be much appreciated thank you.

Probably ascites usually caused by egg yolk peritonitis or something else. I don't think egg bound usually causes a bloated belly. Take her to the vet if you have one nearby.

Probably ascites usually caused by egg yolk peritonitis or something else. I don't think egg bound usually causes a bloated belly. Take her to the vet if you have one nearby.
Thank you, that sounds exactly like what she has, poor girl. We do not have a vet nearby sadly and it looks like her chances are slim once the egg yolk peritonitis causes ascites.

Thank you, that sounds exactly like what she has, poor girl. We do not have a vet nearby sadly and it looks like her chances are slim once the egg yolk peritonitis causes ascites.
This is the same bird just laid a lash egg?

Please please take a good look at what you're feeding your birds.
An unbalanced diet leads to exactly these type of problems.

This is the same bird just laid a lash egg?

Please please take a good look at what you're feeding your birds.
An unbalanced diet leads to exactly these type of problems.
Im not sure if it’s her who laid the egg or not, this hen is doing much better with attitude and normal poop now. We live on a farm with lots of field that they free range and have organic layer feed as well.

Im not sure if it’s her who laid the egg or not, this hen is doing much better with attitude and normal poop now. We live on a farm with lots of field that they free range and have organic layer feed as well.
What exactly do you feed them each day?

I feed them organic layer feed, and occasionally they get a few scraps such as cucumber, peppers, and noodles etc. But they free range and eat most of their food during that time I think cause during spring and summer they hardly eat any feed.

Back
Top Bottom