egg bound?/weak legs/pale comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jrvv, Aug 7, 2011.

1. jrvv

jrvv Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    Hi everyone,

I have a hen about 20 months old and she has the following symptoms:

- lost a lot of chest feathers 1 month ago following a bout of aggression (not sure why she suddenly became aggressive)
    - egg production declined/has been soft-shelled for a few weeks (off/on)
    - comb over last 3 days has been pale
    - legs are weak
    - not as interested in food/treats; standing with tail down or lying down often
    - has good days and bad days, but still eats and drinks

I thought at first that she was egg-bound or internally laying, but this has gone on for a while and now I'm doubting myself. Could she have mites or another disease? They are semi-free-range and live quite the spoiled life...

Thanks,
    Jrvv

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

sorry to hear about your girl [​IMG] has she been wormed? [​IMG] and it wouldn't hurt them to be dusted for mites (Sevin-5 works good) other then that, she will probably will start to feel better on her own. As long as you have covered all of there basic needs [​IMG]

3. roz

roz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    I just lost one to biting lice or mites. Whichever one it was, it caused the same symptoms you are having. I didn't catch it in time. My hens wattles were white and she had lost interest in food and was lethargic. I was told to bathe her with Adams plus flea and tick shampoo.

4. jrvv

jrvv Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    I'm sorry for your loss Roz.

Thank you both for your suggestions. I will do my best to address that. Poor girl [​IMG] I guess some diotamaceous earth wouldn't be a bad idea either, huh?

Her comb started out getting pale and now it's turning either very pale (bloodless) or slightly purple/blue (lilac-ish?) I wouldn't say outright that it is blue...more accurately very pale. She has trouble walking...but seems interested in food/treats. She's weak in eating though. I checked to see if I could see mites, but I'm not sure what they look like. She may have little black bugs here and there.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Go ahead and check her for mites and worms are another possibility. Unfortunately internal laying could be the problem. Internal layers don't necessarily get an internal infection right away. I have had an internal layer for about 2 years who has had problems with laying and a big distended belly, but she still loves her treats and sand bathing etc. Sadly from what I have learned there is little that can be done about the problem, so I know that the problem will catch up with her eventually.

Your poor pullet's lethargy, pale comb and lack of interest in treats are really concerning. You might want to separate her from the others to a place where you can monitor her more carefully and give her some chicken electrolytes or Gatorade.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by