Egg bound?!? What is this???

Emily96948

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2019
She has been acting lethargic and waddling around, I thought she might be egg bound. I just don’t know what’s wrong.
Here’s some pictures of what comes out when I was checking her.
Warning Gross
CBFDD12C-B5F4-4DCC-BFB8-84CE8735235F.jpeg
44AA8CBC-B541-4ED0-A9FF-64B51C0628A5.jpeg
4CD17342-F0E7-4FA4-A682-6DE1AE23E817.jpeg
34BACE1F-720E-49B9-8ED6-C42A712DC73A.jpeg

Why does it seem like there are three different openings, I treated a hen with a prolapsed vent before and it didn’t look like this, is this normal??
The poop was coming out of the middle one, circled in yellow.
It all goes back in after a second. She is grown and has been laying eggs for a while.
What should I do?!

Attachments

• B1DF042A-CBBC-4CA3-B211-82A08DDF7628.jpeg
    B1DF042A-CBBC-4CA3-B211-82A08DDF7628.jpeg
    592.8 KB · Views: 2
Any way you can take her to a vet?

I'll tag a few others in here as well.
@Eggcessive @coach723 @casportpony
I'm sorry about your girl, this is interesting, but I'm not sure why you have poop coming out of the middle unless the intestine has ruptured too. Does it feel like there is an egg in the oviduct?

With my limited knowledge of anatomy, the 2 openings would be the oviduct and the intestines which essentially "meet" at the cloaca (vent). So to me you have both cloacal/intestinal and oviduct prolapse. Probably not the correct terminology.

That may be tricky getting those back in in the correct order unless she's able to pull them in on her own. IF there is not an egg stuck in the oviduct (can you feel an egg?), then I would keep the tissue moist with honey, ointment like prep H, coconut oil or an anti-inflammatory cream. Give her a soaking in a warm epsom salts bath to help relax her (IF she is not lethargic).

Try to keep her hydrated and I would give her some extra calcium as well (Tums or Caltrate).

79fa6d00a6385336f9ead1e6fcfd5556--life-and-death-sciences.jpg
I can’t seem to feel an egg in her, I have put some prep H in her and soaked her in some warm water. I want to take her to the vet tomorrow.

It would appear that she has prolapsed the vent, cloaca and possibly also the connection for the large intestine. Since it all comes out one hole, the vent, only one opening is usually accessible at a time.
You can try putting hemorrhoid cream on it all to shrink it back into her body.

It would appear that she has prolapsed the vent, cloaca and possibly also the connection for the large intestine. Since it all comes out one hole, the vent, only one opening is usually accessible at a time.
You can try putting hemorrhoid cream on it all to shrink it back into her body.
I’ve stuck hemorrhoid cream in her. All of this goes back in on its own. It only came out because I was feeling for an egg and she pushed. I don’t know why stuff like this keeps happening, her sister had a prolapsed vent a few weeks ago, it healed up fine. The were both hatched in the incubator so maybe they have some problems. I give them plenty of calcium and I try to keep them healthy. I spend so much time cleaning their pen and such. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. I just keep having problem after problem with my chickens. They have worms right now, I’ve taken them to the vet and have been treating them, but it doesn’t seem to be doing any good. They still have diarrhea. I had them checked a few days ago and they also have a different type of worms, som I’m treating them for those too. They had both of those a few months ago and I had them worm free for about a month but now they have them again. I know it’s probably in the soil and that’s why they keep getting them. I used to let them dig outside while I kept an eye on them and the must have carried the worms in from somewhere outside and into their pen. I’ve put lime and diatomaceous earth mixed into the dirt in the pen, but it probably won’t get rid of the worms. I can’t move their pen because it’s too big. So they are just going to end up getting worms over and over. I don’t know what to do, I can’t afford to keep taking them to the vet. I don’t think I can afford to have the vet treat her for whatever is wrong with her now. I just don’t know what to do.

Any way you can take her to a vet?

I'll tag a few others in here as well.
@Eggcessive @coach723 @casportpony
I'm sorry about your girl, this is interesting, but I'm not sure why you have poop coming out of the middle unless the intestine has ruptured too. Does it feel like there is an egg in the oviduct?

With my limited knowledge of anatomy, the 2 openings would be the oviduct and the intestines which essentially "meet" at the cloaca (vent). So to me you have both cloacal/intestinal and oviduct prolapse. Probably not the correct terminology.

That may be tricky getting those back in in the correct order unless she's able to pull them in on her own. IF there is not an egg stuck in the oviduct (can you feel an egg?), then I would keep the tissue moist with honey, ointment like prep H, coconut oil or an anti-inflammatory cream. Give her a soaking in a warm epsom salts bath to help relax her (IF she is not lethargic).

Try to keep her hydrated and I would give her some extra calcium as well (Tums or Caltrate).

79fa6d00a6385336f9ead1e6fcfd5556--life-and-death-sciences.jpg

Back
Top Bottom