Egg bound

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hens rule, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Hens rule

Hens rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    Hi, I'm not sure if my hen Lila is egg bound or not but she has a sort of swollen belly which feels like egg bound, she is also panting but she's been doing that for a few days. She made her clucking sounds too and is kind of acting normal/egg boundish. I gave her a little bit of calcium gummie and a little piece of calcium pill and part of an egg shell. I'm unable to soak her since its night and it's cold. Will she be ok in the morning for me to soak her than?

2. BarrettG

BarrettG Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2015
    S.Florida
    How old is the hen and what breed? What do you mean by soak her? I think she will be fine.

3. Hens rule

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    She's a 2 year old production red. When I say "soak her" I mean like give her a warm bath to help the egg come out.

4. BarrettG

Mar 15, 2015
    S.Florida
    I live in south Florida so it's always warm. I would think she will drop when she's ready. There is some birds that are born with syndromes that prevent them from laying. Sorry I can't help much

5. Hens rule

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    Thanks for the help.

She isn't any better, in fact she is much worse. She's straining and panting heavily. I gave her a warm bath and a little electrolytes but nothing has come out. She's been this way for 2-3 days now. :/

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  6. austrolover1

austrolover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2015
    [​IMG]

7. Hens rule

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    I put her in the roosting area after a steam in the tub to help the egg out. She had normal diarea from all liquid not much food and is acting a bit better? Did she just have a intestinal clog or something. Sorry about my gramer in trin to type fast

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  8. BarrettG

Mar 15, 2015
    S.Florida
    If she's 2 years old, and hasn't had that problem before, I would say it's not an egg deal

9. Hens rule

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    She has been egg bound before, do you mean that, or her being unable to get it out problem.

10. Hens rule

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    She isn't egg bound anymore! I found a thin egg shell half eaten where she sleeps. She also has egg stuck to her cause I guess she got some on her

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by