Egg Bound?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Plinky, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Plinky

Plinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2016
    I know there is a lot of information on egg bound hens on the forum but I'm going right to asking...
    Barred Rock hen 8 months old. been a steady layer since 4.5 months. a couple of weeks ago I noticed a day or two more when she didn't lay. Then she laid a very sandpapery feeling egg. Otherwise all normal. She may have had a little diareah about this time. It was also the time my Leghorn laid a possible 'lash' egg. I treated the entire flock with garlic, probiotics, turmeric, yogurt...even got vet rx to put under wings. Leghorn totally recovered back on an egg-a-day schedule. BR seems ok, but has not laid in 4 days. whitish discharge at vent. Feels "full" in area between vent and legs.
    Going to try soaking her, but can't get to it until tomorrow morning, unfortunately.
    Other thoughts?
    Thanks.

2. LinnyP

LinnyP New Egg

May 11, 2014

3. Plinky

Mar 9, 2016
    Today I sat this chicken in warm water with epsom salts for about 15 min. She actually went to sleep. I took her out when she started to wriggle a bit. I think she needed to poop, because boy she did! It started out hard and small but ended up a lot, all over.
    Obviously the epsom salts have a laxative effect. I then blow-dried her and put olive oil around her vent. Abdomen seemed less full (after those poos!). She is spending the night inside in a warm enclosure with a nest area. I'm hoping in the morning she'll lay an egg. Is it possible that she is not egg bound and somehow just being constipated would stop egg production?

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

If she never drank the bath water? The actual warm bath softened the blockage and she was able to pass it...Cut out treats for a week..Feed only her regular feed and make sure she drinks plenty of cold water...
    Treats should be at 5% of daily diet with means about a Tablespoon per Bird...

Best of luck

Cheers!

5. Plinky

Mar 9, 2016
    Update on this hen: I kept her inside for two nights. No egg laid. This morning I saw that she had hardly pooped at all overnight. But she seemed ok (in fact has never really seemed sick). I decided to return her to the coop outside. I picked her up wrapped in a towel to carry through the house and when I unwrapped her on the towel was some yellow-white plastic-looking stuff that had come out. There was also some poopy looking stuff as well. What could it be? From the egg side or the poop side? Was a little bit like the what another hen produced that may have been a lash egg (that hen has returned to laying perfect eggs everyday!). ideas welcome.

6. miarno

miarno New Egg

Oct 15, 2016
    My hen who hasn't laid in four days I am afraid is egg bound. When I checked to see if she was egg bound, the same plasticy yellow stuff came out of her. She is laying in the bathroom, now, because I put her in a bath and dried her. What is that yellowy stuff? She is lethargic and won't eat, either. So worrried! Also a Bard Rock

7. Plinky

Mar 9, 2016
    What a strange coincidence! It would be great to hear any ideas folks have. I have put her back with the others. She is acting normally. Eating, scratching, etc. Not isolating herself. I'll contine with probiotics, garlic turmeric and yogurt that seemed to have helped with the two other problems I had with other hens. Unfortunately $150 per unconclusive vet visit is just not an option. Please post wwhat happens to her!

8. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    I don't really think she's egg bound, but I'm not quite sure of any other things that cause them to stop laying. Sometimes birds do stop laying for a few days and that's completley normal. Do you know if she's molting?

9. Plinky

Mar 9, 2016
    I agree. From what I have read if she were egg bound she would be dead by now or at least in obvious misery. The only thing is some kind of infection. Something strange came out of my leghorn recently which i posted about. She recovered and is back laying daily.

10. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    Exactly, that's why I don't think she's egg bound. My other thought is she could have worms, so I'd treat you're whole flock because it can't hurt them. You can go to you're closest feed store and buy Corid (for cattle, but works great for chickens). Here is the dosage:

If you buy Corid powder: 1/3 teaspoon for every 1 gallon of water.

If you buy Corid liquid: 1/2 teaspoon for every gallon of water.

Put this water in their coop (only the water with Corid in it) for 3-5 days. This should effectively treat them. Here is a helpful post by BYC @casportpony:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818879/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing

Hope this helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by