egg bound

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenboy95, Jan 8, 2009.

1. chickenboy95

chickenboy95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2008
    se ohio
    is there anything i can do for my egg bound hen. shes been on the nest all day and shes got an egg stuck. i could see it this morning stuck 1/3 of the way about but she wouldnt push the rest of the way. now at 5:38 its all gone but shes acting sick. what should i do. I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT SHE IS FOR SURE EGG BOUND.

2. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Maybe warm water. Can you somehow get her in a bath of warm water? I hear people on here doing that.

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    You can get some KY, oil, or vaseline to lubricate her vent and gently help her work it out.

Soaking her in warm water (be sure to dry her well afterwards - hair dryers work well on low) will help relax her muscles and tissues.

Keep us posted!

4. Gardeninggranny

Gardeninggranny Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    Here's how we treated exotic egg bound birds- never had a chicken egg bound. Find a wire floored cage. Place a big pan of steaming water under the cage and a warming light over the top. Put the hen in the cage and enclose the cage with a blanket or something- nothing touching the light- but something so she feels hidden and the heat is kept in. Check on her from time to time to see if she has passed the egg. If she is panting lower the heat but you want her moist and warm. Usually works in an hour or so. Handle her very gently putting her in the cage. After the egg has passed remove the water and let her dry off under the light a while before putting her back home.

5. chickenboy95

Dec 12, 2008
    se ohio
    im sorry guys. she has passed away when i was giving her a warm bath to relax her.

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:[​IMG] I am sorry!!!! It can happen really quickly too because half the time we don't know there is a problem until they act different!

7. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Oh I am so sorry. Your tried your best and I am sure she felt your love.

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    HUGS to you. I'm so sorry to hear that she passed away.

9. chickenboy95

Dec 12, 2008
    se ohio
    yeah she was one of my favorites. one of my best layers.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    Oh my, how sad is that! I'm so sorry for your loss! Is this something any chicken keeper can expect to happen (the eggbound issue, I mean)? Is there any known way to prevent it? Are certain types of chickens more prone to it, than others?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by