Egg Bound?

Rommy

Songster
Apr 17, 2019
NC
Hi folks, Tried to search and find my answers but had no luck; probably b/c I'm not quite savy with the site as I should be. My dilemma is I think I have an egg bound hen. She passed blood here a while back; bright fresh blood; but has since hot passed any. Her underside was kind of raw and she is kind of walking a little straddle legged lately. She has been eating and drinking fine but this a.m. she was off to herself in a corner which concerned me. I have given her a warm bath and dried her a little; but I am having a problem finding her vent area to see if there are any issues there. She does seem somewhat swollen between her legs and to top it off she is going through molt as well. Hoping I can help my Ms. Flop to get past this. Please! Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Locate her tail. Directly beneath the tail is the vent. Feel for wet butt fluff. Is there any or is she dry there. Use a blow dryer after you pat dry a chicken with am absorbent towel.

When I suspect a hen has an egg laying issue I give one calcium tablet right away. This is a supplement women take to avoid osteoporosis. Tums will do in a pinch. This help contractions to expel the egg.

TY I have some tums will see if I can get her to take one. One side note; when I was carrying her in the house to bathe her she let loose all over me; very loose stool

Back
Top Bottom