Egg bound

Ccort

Crowing
Dec 30, 2021
Kentucky, USA
I think I have an egg bound hen. For the last couple of days, she's been sitting hunched. She seems to be eating and drinking but uncomfortable. At first I thought she was just cold, but that's not it.

How do I tell for sure that she is egg bound? And if no vet can see her tomorrow, do I need to handle this? I'm scared to hurt her either way.

I think I have an egg bound hen. For the last couple of days, she's been sitting hunched. She seems to be eating and drinking but uncomfortable. At first I thought she was just cold, but that's not it.

How do I tell for sure that she is egg bound? And if no vet can see her tomorrow, do I need to handle this? I'm scared to hurt her either way.
Do you know when her last egg was?

Is that helpful if she's egg bound?
Yes, very helpful.
Give her some epsom salt baths and get some calcium citrate +D3 and give her one tablet once a day. Try to get in with at least 500mg of calcium.
Exactly how long has she been like this?

Yes, very helpful.
Give her some epsom salt baths and get some calcium citrate +D3 and give her one tablet once a day. Try to get in with at least 500mg of calcium.
Exactly how long has she been like this?
Ok. I will. 2, maybe three days? She is now pecking around normally but then stops at looks to be in a bit of a trance, uncomfortable looking and still. And stays that way too long.

Ok. I will. 2, maybe three days? She is now pecking around normally but then stops at looks to be in a bit of a trance, uncomfortable looking and still. And stays that way too long.
If she was eggbound I would think she would have passed by now.
Any bloating in the abdomen? Is her crop working properly? How full is it now?
Does she eat and drink on her own?
How old and what breed is she?

If she was eggbound I would think she would have passed by now.
Any bloating in the abdomen? Is her crop working properly? How full is it now?
Does she eat and drink on her own?
How old and what breed is she?
I am not sure about bloating. I haven't noticed bloating but I'm new to this still.
Her crop seems fine and she's eating and drinking. Her crop doesn't have much in it but I feel the sees mix I have them a bit ago She is 7 months old and a Barred Rock.

I am not sure about bloating. I haven't noticed bloating but I'm new to this still.
Her crop seems fine and she's eating and drinking. Her crop doesn't have much in it but I feel the sees mix I have them a bit ago She is 7 months old and a Barred Rock.
Check for bloating underneath the vent in between the legs.
Also check her crop early in the morning and make sure its empty.

Back
Top Bottom