egg bound?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silverlining, May 22, 2010.

1. silverlining

silverlining Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Highlands Ranch
    One of our easter egger hens is acting egg bound. She's still drinking water but doesn't want to walk around and acts like she needs to pass an egg. I checked her and couldn't feel an egg and there's no blood or shell shards that I can detect.She did lay/pass this semi-hard pale green thing that encapsulated a white stringy thing. I gave the chickens apple peelings yesterday but everyone else seems fine. Another piece of the white stringish stuff is coming out of her cloaca. Ideas?

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    How old is she?Just curious
    Did you give her a warm bath and massage under her belly? Yogurt would help, too.

3. silverlining

silverlining Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Highlands Ranch
    She's a year and a few months. She's been laying for months very reliably and has never had this happen before. We soaked her several times, and felt nothing hard at all. She's roosting right now (thank goodness she feels well enough to do that!) and we will try and coax her to eat some yogurt tomorrow... she's drinking, but we have not seen her eat. Normally when we let our 6 girls out, they all forage non-stop until we put them back in the run, and she just stayed in there, walking slowly almost like she was a little tipsy. It was heartbreaking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by