egg bound

diannmoe

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 17, 2009
Mount Carmel
My little Sarama silkie hen has an egg inside and its hard. I oiled her vent and felt the egg, gave her wam bath and placed her on heating pad. she is really stress and tired, can I break the egg to save her?

If you break the egg, you risk setting up an infection, but it does have to come out. Can you feel it if you put your lubed finger in there? If so, slather your finger in KYlubricant or olive oil and try to oil up the egg by running your finger around it and pulling toward yourself. We fixed our egg bound banty Cochin that way. Once it is very lubed up, you may be able to gently extract it. Hope so!

I used triple antibiotic ointment and felt the egg, which is hard. I'll try again to see if I can remove it. Thank you

Do the warm soak in the sink again, blow dry her dry and re-lube her vent. You may try giving her a crushed tums mixed up in some scrambled egg and cheese if you think that she'll eat some of it--that helps get them to "push" it out sometimes and the eggs/cheese will help give her a boost too.

Put her back in the crate with the heating pad (making sure she has room to get off of it) and let her be for awhile. I'm not sure how much distress she's in, but if she'll eat and drink for you and seems to be hanging in all right I'd probably leave her be until tonight or tomorrow morning before trying to break and remove the egg.

It's really a last ditch effort kind of thing and if you have to do it you should make sure to start treating her with an antibiotic right away because infection can be a big problem. I hope it all works out and please keep us updated.
hugs.gif

Had the same thing happen to my little Seabrite. She made a lot of noise at first but I was able to get the egg moved out. I kept her in the bath for a little longer and wrapped her in a towel, and moved the egg from the outside. I used one hand to keep the egg from moving back and massaged, it worked and she was worn out but the was egg intact. I also used prep H after because the vent was so swollen from straining. I also took her off the lay pellets till she had time to heal. Keep trying and good luck.

Back
Top Bottom