1. ladybuglives

ladybuglives Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    humboldt county
    Hey there,
    Today one of my Buff Orps was egg bound. She came out of the nesting box after being in for quite a while and was cackling like she had laid an egg. I noticed that she was carrying her rear end really low to the ground as she walked. I could see her straining and panting and thought, "oh, oh!" I checked the box and no egg. So I grabbed a glove and some KY jelly and knelt down infront of her. She's really calm with me and let me easily put my finger inside her vent while she was standing in the run. I could feel the egg right there and it was sideways!!!! I pushed it so that the pointy end was pointing out her vent, she grunted really hard and out it plopped in the sand. Whew!!!! The whole thing lasted only a few minutes from when I figured out what was happening.

I have to thank all of you chicken people, Storey's book, and the feed store guy for preparing me to help my precious Nicky in her moment of need. If I hadn't done the research ahead of time and learned from other people's experiences she might have died.

Question: Does this mean she will have this problem again and again??? I won't always be here -- I was lucky to have been outside when this happened. Also, her eggs have become very large and kinda weird shaped over the past month -- puckered at the pointy end and not completely smooth). Is this something I can help change with diet or supplements????

Thanks again,
    Lisa
    Humboldt County, CA

2. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    So glad you got the egg out! I'm not sure if will happen again, I think it's kind of random when it does and it could happen to any hen. As far as the shape I don't think I can help. How old is she? Sometime when they are younger I guess they can lay a misshapen egg once in a while. Hopefully someone with more knowledge about this sees it and offers a more helpful opinion!

3. ladybuglives

ladybuglives Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    humboldt county
    Thanks Sorin! I feel really sad right now because I talked to the guy at the feed store about Nicky and he said I should put her down because she's laying big eggs and will eventually prolapse. He said I could try black boxing her (giving her only 8 hours of daylight) to see if she will reset her egg laying and get back to smaller, normal shaped eggs. Any thoughts? She will be one year old on the 21st.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by