Egg Bound

ITSY'S MOM

Hatching
11 Years
May 13, 2008
I think my chicken has a problem, we havent gotten an egg from her in a few days now and she is standing with her rear low to the ground, moving slow almost hobbeling when she walks, she does eat and drink, we have no idea what to do. Any help or suggestions would be VERY appriciated!!!

Hi,
Giving her a warm bath may help. I've had the best luck wearing latex gloves and putting vasoline in the vent. Really lubing it up... You can feel around at the same time and you may feel the egg. I wouldn't break it yet, but sometimes people do to get it out faster.
Good luck. Let us know how she's doing.
Terry

Thanks, that wont be easy, she is not like my two hwavy breeds that were basicly hand raised. She is a leghorn, skiddish and runs every time you go near her. I have not tryed to touch her since this has happened, she may not struggle in the state she is in. They have a large enough pen however would letting them out to roam around the yard possibley help? Maybe the activity would get this passed? Im concerned its also a double yoker which has has layed me quite a few of. Poor thing.

When my Leghorn was eggbound, she LET me catch her or sat on my lap...because she was so uncomfortable...And Obelisk ISN'T the cuddly type at all.

A warm bath is a good thing because it relaxes the muscles and may make it easier to push out the soft shelled egg.

Thanks, as soon as I get home I will get on filling a tub of warm water for her and hopefully that will do the trick.

Thanks, as soon as I get home I will get on filling a tub of warm water for her and hopefully that will do the trick.

Your a good chicken mommy, trying to do everything you can for her! I hope that this helps her and she can pass that egg! Good luck!​

I hate to ask this but... what if she doesnt pass the egg? What do I do then? The vets?

Most people find it's hard to find a vet that will treat chickens...I have heard that many will cull the chicken
sad.png
I know it's not an easy choice but if she is in pain it's more humane to do that then let her be. Sorry
sad.png
I do hope she passes it!
fl.gif
OR that you can find a close vet.

Back
Top Bottom