1. 3cutechicks

3cutechicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2009
    Newbury Park, CA
    I think My rhode island red has an egg in her. It's been about 5 days or more since she has laid and egg. I googled info and have given her three warm baths this week. Yesterday I gave her one for 20 min than used vasoline to go through the vent to get an egg. I can't tell if there is one in there or not. It is soft inside and feels like swollen tissue. She has been in the box for 3 hours now and has nothing. Does she need more time or do I go in again? I don't want to hurt her insides.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    It sounds like you have done the right things for an egg bound chicken. I know when my hen was egg bound she was actually straining, is your hen doing that? Did you rule out other possibilities like she is broody or perhaps stressed and hiding in the nest box. She could stop laying for both reasons.

3. 3cutechicks

Feb 11, 2009
    Newbury Park, CA
    She is never broody. She lays 1 egg a day until recently. She wasn't in the nesting box until this morning so maybe it's getting close. I know her butt is puffy and warm. I don't know how to get the egg out or what it feels like.

4. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

If bathing her is stressful for you both, you can try putting her under a heat lamp. Sometimes when they lay in that heat, it helps them relax and they pass the egg. Plus you can keep them under the light longer than you can keep a bath warm!

5. 3cutechicks

Feb 11, 2009
    Newbury Park, CA
    I'll try the lamp. The bath wasn't stressful but I have other things to do than bathe her everyday! I am wondering how long it will take. Thanks

6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    put a tums in her drinking water also, the boost in calcium helps them relax, if she is egg bound- use that with finches, and my duccle hen, worked along with the warm bath

7. 3cutechicks

Feb 11, 2009
    Newbury Park, CA
    gave Penny another warm bath. She gobbled tums water. I hope it works.[​IMG]

8. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Fingers crossed for Penny!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. 3cutechicks

Feb 11, 2009
    Newbury Park, CA
    thanks! She is laying around. The bulge looks like it is getting closer to the vent. Maybe tomorrow.

10. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    keep the tums water going, it can't hurt her, poor little thing....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by