1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. MadMonkeyOne

MadMonkeyOne Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2012
    One of our family chickens was handled quite ruff yesterday by little chicken who were visiting. Today she has redness from her vent down to her legs, continues drinking, is not very mobile, seems tired and in pain. We are al most certain she is egg bound and are going to take her to the vet (family chicken very loved) but the vets are closed right now and we want to make her more comfortable before her opointment. Is there any thing that will ease the pain? Thx Heaps!

2. MadMonkeyOne

Sep 27, 2012
    Srry that was "handled ruff by CHILDREN" not "Chicken" srry

3. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    If you think she's egg bound, give her a nice warm bath - fill a bowl with warm water & encourage her to sit for a good half hour. Then pop her somewhere warm & dark to dry.
    Try to tempt her to eat too, & keep her drinking.

When do you think the vets will open?

4. MadMonkeyOne

Sep 27, 2012
    Thx for the reply!
    We had her inside all night made sure she had food and water. Poor thing u could see her straining. She ate all the food and drank the water and this morning to my relief she had past a egg. It was normal in the middle but really soft shell. We put her in the garden with the other chooks but she's just retreated to under the BQ. she's not as active. Is it because she was laying all night? Do I still take her to the vet or has the danger pasted?
    P.s. gave her warm bath last night and put her in warm towels.
    Thx!

5. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    That's good news! She might still be feeling a bit sore & unwell after the whole experience - maybe keep her in the warm at night & feed her up for a few more days. Is she pooping normally now?
    After laying her egg the immediate danger has passed. As long as she is eating & pooping, she should be better in a few days :)

6. MadMonkeyOne

Sep 27, 2012
    Thx so much for the reply!
    She just seems sleepy now but I will keep an eye on her for the next couple of days and post if she's getting better. Her poo is a little runny because of her drinking but shes leaving her little presents every where so she not having trouble. She doesn't seem very interested in the other chickens and just keeps sitting round. Going to change her food to a more calcium rich mix maybe that will help.
    Thx heaps again!

7. Yardfarm Family

Yardfarm Family Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2012
    Mchenry County, Il
    I stumbled upon this thread because I think one of my pullets are eggbound. Did your hen get better?

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by