egg bound

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by danniidyer94, Jan 3, 2013.

1. danniidyer94

danniidyer94 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2012
    I think my duck is egg bound what can i do to help her should i take her to the vet she normally have one egg a day really need help don't know what to do :(

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Missing a day laying does not always mean eggbound, but it is good to be aware and concerned.

One of the best things you can do is get her into lukewarm water, deep enough to float in, for at least half an hour. It can help her relax, and increase circulation.

Sometimes it's that the duck is either not getting enough calcium (enough seems to be different for each duck) or other vitamins or minerals that help her process calcium (D3, and the proper proportion of phosphorus, for example).

How is she acting? Can you see an egg if you look at her vent? Be careful handing her - don't want to break the shell.

3. danniidyer94

Jun 23, 2012
    She had a egg but it was broken but it still look like she got more in there She walking funny and i can't see the eggs but i can feel it when i check she is normally quite loud but is very quiet

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Can you get her into a lukewarm bath deep enough to float in? That would help, I think.

If the egg has broken inside (sounds like it) you may need vet care, or if that is impossible, consider antibiotics. I hope we can get someone with more experience to join us.

5. danniidyer94

Jun 23, 2012
    The lukewarm bath didn't work so im taking her to the vets tomorrow thanks for your help

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by