Egg Bound???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cluckcluckluke, Jan 3, 2013.

1. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

The story- I bought 2 Araucana (PB) hens about 3-4 months ago. The smaller one of the two started laying straight away and has continued but is now just on a break, the second larger one hasn't laid a single egg up until about 1 week ago and I thought "yes finally, she has started to lay" but since then she hasn't laid a single egg but every morning she will go up into the nest boxes and sit there for a bit and I will go off hoping that when I return I will have a wonderful green egg but to no prevail.
    One time I saw her on the nest and thought not to scare her of so I left and when I came back down about 4hrs later all that was left in the nest she was in was a brown egg, now I know EE's can lay brown eggs but I don't think it is possible for my Araucana to lay a green egg then a brown one, unless you can prove me wrong.

With the information that I have here can you tell me if she is egg bound. If she is then how can I test it and then treat her for it??? I have heard that a warm bath will help some how[​IMG], but she is a hard hen to handle and is very scared of humans so I'm prepared to handle that but it might just put her of the lay I we fix her up which could then lead to me getting worried we haven't fixed the problem. But if any one could help me at this current stage that would be great.

2. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    If she just started to lay and she is acting normal, eating and drinking fine, then I would just wait. It takes a while for their systems to get the hang of laying. With the short day light hours right now that really cuts back the laying.
    But if she acting odd, off by her self, fluffed up more then normal, not eating or drinking and/or acting sleeping then be worried about egg bound.

1 person likes this.
  3. cluckcluckluke

She is not POL she is/should be well into laying (not sure of age). I live in Australia so it's summer here so that's full production and she does eat and drink "normally" like all the other hens and isn't fluffed at all.
    She could do with some extra feed, maybe she is "old" now, I'll check her vent to see if it's big and oval (the right size for laying)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  4. nakstk

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    How is your chicken doing? Has she laid you anymore eggs?

5. cluckcluckluke

She is perfectly "normal" eating, drinking, roosting everything a hen would do except laying so I think she's to old or just completely stopped producing eggs.

6. nakstk

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    Maybe it's too hot for her to lay or she could be stressed about something. Someone from Sydney, Australia said it was 109.4 (43c) there.

7. cluckcluckluke

Yeah it's really hot here, she may have bumble foot I've just discovered so I'll fix that up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by