1. HelloChicken

HelloChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I just wanted to post my pictures of one of my hens, shes really swollen, has been having her poo build up on her feathers, and she has no energy :[

Here is a picture I took of her a few minutes ago, I gave her a washing but not in warm water like I've read to do for egg-bound hens.
    I just want a confirm that this is indeed an egg-bound hen.
    Thanks~

[​IMG]

So far she has eatting a small bite of bread, and has pooped really really watery poop.
    I had to bring her inside and put her under a lamp because I saw a few ants near/on her and she feels cold.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    I know if shes egg-bound I need to soak her in warm water for 30 mins.

Any other tips?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  2. Liane

Liane Out Of The Brooder

Try soaking her in warm sink of Epsom salts. Massage her abdomen. You could even feel up inside her vent for a blockage.

1 person likes this.
  3. HelloChicken

Jun 6, 2011
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Thank you for replying...
    I will certainly try soaking her again!
    She seems to be alert, eating, and drinking.

He poop is still really watery and I tried taking her outside to walk in the grass some but she acts like she cant walk anymore.. just crawls and uses her wings kinda.

Will I be able to get the blckage out if I do feel some in her? Or is there a certain why I have to remove it?

4. Liane

Liane Out Of The Brooder

If she is egg bound, you may feel it during the soak. Massaging her while in the warm water, may dislodge it. Good luck.

5. HelloChicken

Jun 6, 2011
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Sorry I forgot to close this topic.

She passed away.
    The soaking didn't help her :[ I never felt anything similar to an egg in her. So I still dont know the cause of death :[

Thanks for your replies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by