egg bound??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cockle-Dood, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Cockle-Dood

Cockle-Dood Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    New Waverly, TX
    I have an ill chicken!!! She was standing still this morning during treat time with her eyes closed getting run over by the others in the run. i went a pulled her out, she wasnt making any noise whatsoever. Brought her inside, gave her some crumbles and electorlyte water. She was eating and drinking so that relieved me. Now she is siting but has her butt up off the ground. Could she be egg bound? I looked at her but am really not sure what im looking for...

2. Cockle-Dood

Cockle-Dood Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    New Waverly, TX
    Update: has watery poop that comes out in drips.

[​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think she might be eggbound. They can't have a normal bowel movement when they are, so youmight want to soak her in some warm water. Feel around in her abdomen. Take a gloved lubricated finger and insert it into the vent to gently feel for an egg. Don't break it, but try to get her to pass it. If you have mineral oil you could use that to lubricate.

4. ropenwendy

ropenwendy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2013
    Gypsum KS
    Would being egg bound make a hen limp at all? She is barely putting any pressure on her left leg. I dont see anything obvious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by