Egg Bound?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SparkleTia, Jan 1, 2014.

1. SparkleTia

SparkleTia Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2013
    I have never had a chicken that was egg bound. But my Rhode Island Red hen is eating, drinking and using the bathroom frequently but hasn't laided any eggs in 6 days. What are the symptoms of "egg bound" and how is it fixed? Note it has been really cold where I live and I dont know if she hasn't been laying because of the weather..Help??[​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Just because they have not laid in many days, does not mean they are egg bound. Sometimes it is because they are molting, or going into a molt. The lack of light and warmth this time of year can slow the egg production down as well. Not enough protein will also cause less eggs to be laid. Even an illness can cause them to stop laying.

They become egg bound from the lack of enough calcium for good contractions and egg shell hardness. Also getting dehydrated will cause egg binding. If they are egg bound, they might go in and out of the nest box in attempts to lay an egg. They might start waddling around because an egg is stuck or they may not be able to poop because an egg is blocking the vent to the intestines.

If she seems well in all other ways, I wouldn't be too concerned until I saw some symptoms of something.

3. SparkleTia

Dec 24, 2013
    @TwoCrows Ok thank you! She is laying again!

4. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    I occasionally have a chicken or two that will take off a week for no apparent reason. The behavior stays normal and whatnot, but they just stop laying eggs for a short period of time, and then they pick up where they left off. I notice this more in my minorca's than any other bird, however Easter Eggers also do this from time to time, or so I have been told.

5. SparkleTia

Dec 24, 2013
    @cstronks Well what do you do? Just wait??

6. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    What else can you do? I can't squeeze them out lol. These little dry spells don't last long, and since it is only a bird or two that have done this, I do not want to offer extra calcium because it will throw off the balance of the whole flock. This is not an uncommon occurrence. Many birds do this, and if you one in your flock just took an egg hiatus, then I can guarantee it is going to happen again. Nothing to worry about though. Just part of the cycle, I figure.

7. SparkleTia

Dec 24, 2013
    @cstronks Lol ok thank you!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by