egg-bounded chicken still like to eat

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by grayli, Jan 27, 2017.

1. grayli

grayli New Egg

Jan 27, 2017
    I think my hen is egg-bounded, she has all common symptoms (I saw yellow yolk in the nest and she's been sitting for 2 days) but she still like to eat. I added lots of shell grit in her layer mix, Will she be alright? I gave her a warm bath, is there anything else to do? Our local vet does not seems to have lots of knowledge about chicken

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Could the yellow yolk you saw be from a broken egg? And is it possible that she's broody?

3. penny1960

penny1960 la la land awaits Premium Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    hello @grayli sorry to hear your so worried please if you feel down close under her
    and she is egg bound you might be able to feel one there.. I think that Junebuggena is right spot on
    with it being a broken egg yolk

4. grayli

grayli New Egg

Jan 27, 2017
    I am not sure, I am new to keeping chicken. She looks ill: cripples, although she eat but not that much, I thought of broody.I have 2 other hens,She still go out with other hens in the morning. while others are digging foraging, she tuck her head under wing and sleep.... The yolk stain in the nest comes with a small pierce of egg shell, the shell looks thin... My guess is an egg broken inside of her and she pushed out parts. I exam-ed her vent, it does not seems to have anything in ...or maybe my method is wrong, I don't know. Her vent opens/pushes and closes at time of examination

5. penny1960

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    sounds as if you doing it correct would you tell me how old is your hen and how long have they been laying eggs
    please

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  6. grayli

grayli New Egg

Jan 27, 2017
    Which exact spot to feel the egg? belly? I looked up chicken anatomy
    http://s180.photobucket.com/user/eggcetra_farms/media/chicken_anatomy.jpg.html,
    it looks like the egg is near the back and the tail, that parts of her is hard. Not sure its bone or egg

7. grayli

grayli New Egg

Jan 27, 2017
    I got her from other people a few months ago. They told me they are young chickens, it's in first year of laying. She almost lay 1 egg a day regularly

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The yolk and bit of shell were most likely the result of a clumsy hen breaking an egg on accident. Eggs sometimes get stepped on and broken. It's also very normal to just find traces of such an occurrence. It's natural instinct for a hen to eat eggs that get broken in the nest.
    Broody hens do come out with the flock first thing in the morning to eat and drink. Then, after about a half hour, they go back to their sitting trance.

9. grayli

grayli New Egg

Jan 27, 2017
    which part do I feel the possible egg? belly down? I check anatomy online, the eggs/oviduct is usually near the back and the tail...

10. penny1960

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by