Egg boxes --pre laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JPHJPH, Aug 9, 2013.

1. JPHJPH

JPHJPH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2013
    NE Ohio
    Hello again! I have 5 chickens about 10 weeks old ... Maybe.... And I know they are not close to laying yet, but when I set up the coop I modified some milk crates for egg laying boxes... Well my lil chickens have decided to poop and sleep in these boxes ... All in one as a matter of fact...so should I remove the boxes until they are ready to lay or just let them be?

Thanks a lot...I have learned a lot from this forum so far .

2. JacobMaxwell

JacobMaxwell Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    It's probably best to remove the boxes until the girls are 16 - 18 weeks old unless you want poop covered eggs in the future. If there are no boxes for the next 6 - 8 weeks, the chickens will get into the habit of sleeping on the roosts, not in the boxes.

3. JPHJPH

JPHJPH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2013
    NE Ohio
    Thanks for the tip... I have another question... So I have my milk crate egg boxes up on the top shelf in the coop, should I eventually move the. Back up there or on the bottom?[​IMG]

4. JacobMaxwell

JacobMaxwell Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    You can move the boxes if you want. It doesn't really matter, but some hens prefer a raised nesting box, while others like a ground level box. It depends on what you and your hens like best. Also, the entrance to the box should be facing outwards, not to the side.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  5. daneblackburn

daneblackburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Indiana
    My pullets were doing the same thing and once it started to get dark I would move them from the boxes to there roosting poles. Within a week they were roosting in the right spot on there own. I got advice from another thread on this site. I beleive my problem was that the layer boxes were higher then the Roost poles

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Birds like to roost on the highest spot, that's why they're on the nest boxes. Nest boxes should be below the roosts to prevent this behavior.

Also, thinking ahead, if you ever have a broody hen, a nest box on the floor will be much more convenient for raising chicks. Not being an enabler or anything, just sayin' [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by