egg broke in hen! I need help ASAP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by emimiller8, Aug 21, 2013.

1. emimiller8

emimiller8 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    My hen has a broken egg in her i can feel the edges. this has never happend before. I dont know what to do please help me asap! thanks

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Soak her lower half in some warm (90-95 degree F.) water for 15-30 minutes. This will help her relax, and may cause her to pass the egg shell. You might also consider inserting some mineral oil or lubricating jelly into her vent to help the egg shells slip through. Or, though you have to be careful while doing this, insert your finger (lubricated well) into your hens vent and try to pull out the egg shells. But be very careful when doing this--egg shells can easily puncture the inside of the vent/the hens reproductive tract, and that isn't good.

3. emimiller8

emimiller8 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    Thank you, I don't think that she has a broken egg, I think she might be egg bound. I have separated her from the other flock and given her warm baths. I don't know what else to do she still hasn't Layed an egg and doesn't feel well... After a bath is there any tips on drying the chicken?

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Just pat her dry with a towel the best you can, and then leave her to dry naturally. I suppose you could also use a blow dryer to finish the drying process, but that really isn't necessary. How long has she been showing symptoms of being egg bound? Sometimes giving calcium to the hen (in the form of oyster shell, human calcium supplements, chicken vitamins, etc.) can help strengthen the oviduct muscles and cause the egg to be passed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by