Egg Broke Inside Hen

User4477

Chirping
Jun 24, 2021
Southern California
My 1 year old orpington hen just pooped out egg whites/yolks while she was perched for bed. She got down to go lay in the nesting box right after and I noticed egg membrane sticking out of her vent. I gently pulled two very large pieces of egg membrane and her vent looks clear now.

I'm worried the egg broke inside her, however, and that she now has egg shells stuck inside. I didn't see any shells in her poop or in her vent, but her vent is open a little and she is laying in her nesting box trying to lay.

I'm going to be giving her calcium citrate but I'm not sure what else to do.

I'm in california so it's impossible to get her antibiotics without a vet visit which would be a week away if I'm lucky.

I'm mostly worried about infection. She seemed to have her energy up and was eating/drinking/pooping just fine all day until just now when they went to bed..

Any advice is appreciated...

I'd get the Calcium Citrate into her daily for a week.
If you pulled out membrane, then unlikely she has hard shells in there too. Sounds like shell less eggs.

It's not a bad idea to administer and antibiotic since she expelled the yolk and albumin before the membranes.
See if you can get this.
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10
Thank you so much. I just ordered the Baytril, and I had her swallow a calcium citrate tablet this morning, which I will keep doing daily. I attached a picture of the membrane I pulled out.
Also, this morning she's still trying to lay and her vent is slightly open. Her vent almost looks blue/grey but it's clear, and her comb and wattles are still bright pink.

Attachments

• 3BE33823-4B12-4624-8A55-974C80874B44.jpeg
    3BE33823-4B12-4624-8A55-974C80874B44.jpeg
    493.3 KB · Views: 18
Thank you so much. I just ordered the Baytril, and I had her swallow a calcium citrate tablet this morning, which I will keep doing daily. I attached a picture of the membrane I pulled out.
Also, this morning she's still trying to lay and her vent is slightly open. Her vent almost looks blue/grey but it's clear, and her comb and wattles are still bright pink.
I wonder if her vent is bruised from pushing? Do you have any photos of the color of her vent?

I'm glad she's acting o.k.
If that's the case, then I'd just keep watch on her, see if she resumes laying normal eggs.
Hi, my girl was doing fine, still wasn't laying anything, until last night when she laid yolks and whites (no shells or membranes) again. I gave her the calcium citrate daily for about 5 days earlier then stopped and provided oyster shell. I'm going to start with the calcium citrate again and try a week (like I should have done) or 10 days this time.

I'm also going to start her on the Baytril 10% that you linked. The website says to put it in water but I was wondering if I could just administer it to her orally? I just really doubt she'll drink enough of the water...

With reproductive problems, they can wax and wane.
I'd try the calcium again.
You can give the Baytril orally, dose is 0.05 ml per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 5 days.

Hopefully she will recover again.

Back
Top Bottom