Egg broken in oviduct [Edit: Not broken, just unfunny duck practical joke]

Bills vs Beaks

Duck Duck Goose
6 Years
Aug 31, 2016
NJ USA
My Coop
My Coop
I went to give my ducks lunch a couple hours ago and one of them was not acting right. She was sitting by herself and did not want to eat(very unusual...they always eat like they are starving). She looked perfectly fine this morning. I noticed this white stuff on her, and it appears to me to be egg white. I felt around and did not feel a lump from an egg as I usually do.
I really hope it is not broken egg inside her, but I cant think of anything else. Is there anything that can be done?

Thankfully she is walking around a little bit now and even nibbled at the food
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
I went to give my ducks lunch a couple hours ago and one of them was not acting right. She was sitting by herself and did not want to eat(very unusual...they always eat like they are starving). She looked perfectly fine this morning. I noticed this white stuff on her, and it appears to me to be egg white. I felt around and did not feel a lump from an egg as I usually do.
I really hope it is not broken egg inside her, but I cant think of anything else. Is there anything that can be done?

Thank you in advance.
@Bills vs Beaks Can you put her in a nice warm tub of water let her float around clean up then look and see if any more is coming out? Other than a vet I have no idea how'd you get a broken egg out with out hurting her. But if she'll relax in the water she may be able to pass it herself. Lets just hope that isn't what happened. I have seen something like this on my duck before and evidently there wasn't a broken egg.You could try while she is floating to stick a clean finger in her vent very slowly and gently and see if you can feel anything.

Last edited:
Thanks Miss Lydia.
I wiped her off earlier, but no more seemed to come out
They are in for the night, so I will see whats up in the morning. I'm really praying she will be ok. Shes the friendliest of all the khaki's....

Thanks Miss Lydia.
I wiped her off earlier, but no more seemed to come out
They are in for the night, so I will see whats up in the morning. I'm really praying she will be ok. Shes the friendliest of all the khaki's....
I hope so too. Just a couple of weeks ago I saw one of my young Runners with some whitish stuff on her back end. I watched her close all day she did seem to hang off by herself but next day she was just as nutty as the rest. I hope you find your girls okay in the morning. Let us know okay
hugs.gif

Thank you in advance.
My blue runner sometimes gets this too... It never seems to bother her, and she is always full of energy
idunno.gif

I'm wondering if it's hormonal? Did she recently start laying eggs?

If possible, a good duck vet visit would be best. Without being there, I can say it looks a bit like the discharge Sechs had when she was eggbound. Here is what I recall the vet doing:

Xray - we could see the stuck egg
Hormone injection to stop egg production for a month
Prescription for Bactrim, an antibiotic, as the discharge appeared to the vet to be the beginning of an infection
Prescription for Metacam, anti inflammatory, to help release the egg

I began calcium supplementation as well as giving the Bactrim and Metacam. About six days later she passed the remainder of the egg - some membrane and shell. She is fine now.

Unfortunately there is only one avian vet anywhere near me...and he has no clue. My mom took a chicken to him and he was like"ooh...umm...maybe this...or that....Dunno really...give her this...or might help"
The chicken died.
And to be honest, I can't do a vet now. Maybe over the counter stuff, but I can't spend three hundred bucks for some doofus to give me some stuff that won't help.

I just don't know why she would be egg bound, I have had no problems with laying, ever. And she not a new layer...

Unfortunately there is only one avian vet anywhere near me...and he has no clue. My mom took a chicken to him and he was like"ooh...umm...maybe this...or that....Dunno really...give her this...or might help"
The chicken died.
And to be honest, I can't do a vet now. Maybe over the counter stuff, but I can't spend three hundred bucks for some doofus to give me some stuff that won't help.

I just don't know why she would be egg bound, I have had no problems with laying, ever. And she not a new layer...
@Bills vs Beaks How is she this morning? I give my layers calcium citrate in their water every other night for the next day. Just to boost the calcium levels.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom