1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg: Brown with Blue Specks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MakeMineCadburys, Nov 10, 2009.

1. MakeMineCadburys

MakeMineCadburys Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2009
    Southern Cali
    This egg looks like someone spattered blue paint on the lower half.

I have three RIR - been laying for months now, and they've always been mostly plain brown, sometimes with purplish specks.

I'm thinking (read hoping) that my Ameraucana might have laid this?

The thing is - she would be new at it, and the egg is good sized 1.8 oz. When my RIRs started, they were only laying MAYBE 1 oz-ers.

Could it be hers or do RIR's eggs change colors sometimes?

Thanks for all your help BYCers!!!

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    It would be from the Ameraucana. Some chickens never seem to go through the pullet egg stage.

3. Alyssandra

Alyssandra Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    snohomish, WA
    I sometimes get eggs from my RIR that look like they have some purplish specks on them....Or even sometimes some white specks...I just figured it had to do with how much calcium she had.....I have 2 EE's but they both lay a lighter almost pinkish egg.

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I don't know who layed it, but I can tell you my EE never did lay pullet eggs. She started with med/lg eggs and went to large ones within the first week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by