Egg Business

WV_Chicken

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 18, 2010
Augusta, WV
I'm interested in selling some of my eggs this year and am interested in what are the best ways to sell them?? Do you just hit up friends and family. I probably will only be able to support 3-4 customers each week until later in the year. I plan to expand this spring and increase my capacity so hopefully will be able to take on more then.

Anyone have success with an Egg Subscription??

We sell to friends and family. We will likely be taking our eggs to an uppity farmer's market nearby, this summer.

3-4 dozen eggs should not be difficult to sell each week. Be your own advertising!
wink.png
My eggs are superior to store bought eggs.

I agree, just put the word out to family, friends and neighbors, they will keep you plenty busy. I know I can never seem to have enough eggs now, even though I get about a dozen a day. Best of luck to you.

I put up a handwritten notice at my work and had more demand than I could handle. I see a fair amount of people advertising on Craigslist to sell eggs, also. I would start with folks you know, family and friends, co-workers, church members, etc, then go from there as you have more supply. If I had someone express an interest, I would usually give them a half dozen free, for a trial. You know, like the crack dealers do
big_smile.png
Get 'em hooked, then they're customers for life!

I put a half-page poster up on the board at my feed store. It has a picture of my chickens, a picture of their eggs, and a short paragraph about the chickens. I get a lot of customers that way, since a lot of horse, goat and rabbit owners don't have their own chickens but want nice fresh eggs. I only post once every few months, when sales slow down or I have an overabundance of eggs. If I had more hens, subscriptions would work great, several people have asked me about them, I just don't have a big enough, steady enough supply for that.

Work, school, friends, church, neighbors, mailman, doctor's office, dentist's office, ... I can't squeeze the chicken butts hard enough to get all the eggs out of them that people would like! And the maintenance of about 25 hens is the most I can handle.

Hello,
I plan on selling our eggs at our local farmers market, I've been saving all the styrofoam eggs containers from our old use of commercial eggs from the market. Can I use these? Thanks, Carla
hu.gif

Hello,
I plan on selling our eggs at our local farmers market, I've been saving all the styrofoam eggs containers from our old use of commercial eggs from the market. Can I use these? Thanks, Carla

Better check your state laws. In Texas, if you sell a certain number, your name and address have to appear on the carton and reusing commercial cartons is frowned upon.​

I contacted my county extension agent & found her input very helpful. She referred me to the "NC Egg Law", as well as another ext. agent's website dealing specifically w/ selling smaller quantities of eggs, including at Farmer's Markets. I'm sure it varies state by state. In NC, though, the law specifically details "small laying operations" (under 30 dozen/ week LOL!) and covers exemptions, requirements, etc. including using "recycled egg cartons." I'd give your county ext. agent a call--in a lot of areas, there is a big "Buy Local, Support Smaller Farms" emphasis right now. Good Luck & have fun!

I sell 4-5 dozen per week at work. 14 hens provide a fair amount of eggs, usually a dozen a day. Two folks I have set up on a subscription basis, 1 dozen every Monday. It just about covers the feed bill, including what I feed my 5 turkeys.

Back
Top Bottom