egg but no shell

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Yello, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Yello

Yello Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2011
    Northern WI
    I know I've seen this topic somewhere but cannot find it. I caught my hens eating egg in the grass with no signs of shell anywhere. I have 10 hens and have been collecting 9 eggs regularly for a few weeks. Could this be the beginning of #10? Should I be worried about where the shell could be?[​IMG]

2. emerald eyes

emerald eyes Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2011
    I had a few no shell eggs when my hens first started laying. I read that it happens when the chicken's shell gland doesn't properly encase the egg. I have even gotten tiny eggs without a yolk, eggs with double/triple yolks. It is expected for hens to have some trouble in the beginning, this should resolve within the first month or so.

3. ChickenMack

ChickenMack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    I have a RIR hen that lays shell-less eggs or eggs with tissue paper thin shells. She is three now and it has been like this since she started laying. Now, she is a hatchery RIR (read- genetically modified production bird). My other RIR's had issue with laying mis-shapen eggs. Your hen may grow out of it and she may not. Give her some time, maybe some oyster shell. It's messy worst of all and you don't get an egg. Also, she:/ doesn't sit in the nesting boxes to lay either, it just comes when it comes.

4. Yello

Yello Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2011
    Northern WI
    It all makes sense cause they all seem to be healthy and happy. Thanks for the input.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by