Egg Candeling on day 3...?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gitlost80, Dec 20, 2010.

1. gitlost80

gitlost80 Trigger Pullet

Mar 27, 2009
    Reno/Sparks
    My first Broody hen has been sitting for a month or so. I finally put 3 eggs under her 3 days ago.She has kept them hot and hasnt left for longer than a brief moment once a day. I brought them in and candled them tonight....2 had big dark areas(bigger than a yolk) that moved when i turned the egg. The 3rd looked mostly clear with a pea sized dark area. I didnt see any veins, but my eggs are dark brown so it was hard to tell. I will check them again in a few days. Im just curious if I should be seeing anything in particular at this point?

2. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Really white eggs should be candled on day 7-8

dark eggs on day 14 of incubation.

you really shouldn't see anything big before that.

3. CountryBoy007

CountryBoy007 New Egg

Nov 14, 2010
    Correct dark brown eggs are extremely hard to telll if they are fertile until day 14 -20, the main thing is just loook for blood rings if there are no blood rings and they are heavier and darker youll have chicks from them. By the way to last commenter, Jesus is my savior too, i am glad to here that [​IMG]

4. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    If you are using a broody there is really no reason to candle at all; unless, you are just curious. Many times a broody will take care of the non-fertile eggs herself.

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:True ............... plus a 3 day candle won't tell you much, better to wait.

AL

7. gitlost80

gitlost80 Trigger Pullet

Mar 27, 2009
    Reno/Sparks
    After buying a 110 lumen flashlight, I candles my broody hens 3 eggs. To my great surprise....1 clear egg and 2 eggs with little acrobats doing flips inside of them! [​IMG]

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

A MONTH!!!!! You had better put some food and water right in her face. Being broody is hard on hens!!! Give her some canned corn too.

9. gitlost80

gitlost80 Trigger Pullet

Mar 27, 2009
    Reno/Sparks
    This is my first broody hen. I guess I should have mentioned that she was only acting broody, like puffing up and complaining when I went to collect eggs from the coop during that month. At that point she still came out several times a day to eat, drink and scratch. Only now, since I have left the eggs in there with her, has she continuously sat on her nest. She still comes out every morning when I open the coop and eats,drinks, and leaves me the biggest pile of you know what I have ever seen from a chicken. I didnt know about the corn thing, so I will start asap.

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Ahhh, the infamous Broody Poop. Scary, isn't it!?!?!?

I learned I should not attempt any task in the chicken run area without being fully alert whenever there is a broody on the nest. (Only had two broodies so far, but it doesn't take THAT long to learn this lesson!) No stumbling around, half-asleep, walking on auto-pilot, when a broody is actively brooding. EYES on the ground!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by