Egg candiling day before hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jesus freak, Sep 20, 2011.

1. jesus freak

jesus freak Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Idaho
    Is it okay to candle an egg the day before it is supposed to hatch?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  2. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Most would say no because that would mean you're in the "lock down" period which means just that...the incubator is not to be opened nor the eggs disturbed. BUT...if you really needed to you could -- keep in mind you could cause both the temp and the humidity to dip down which isn't what a just-about-to-be-hatched eggs wants.

Is there a reason you're asking?

3. jesus freak

jesus freak Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Idaho
    Quote:Just wondering if there still alive. Do you happen to know if they start pipping the day before hatch or the day they do hatch?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  4. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:Just wondering if there still alive. Do you happen to know if they start pipping the day before hatch or the day they do hatch?

the eggscould pip a few days before hatching or even a few days after hatch date, after day 18 you arent supposed to turn the eggs because they could start hatching at any time is what i was told:)

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Good advice. I hatched my 1st batch which pipped on day 20. after that 1st pip, it was 8 hours, then 5 more pipped. End of day 21 I had 7 chicks out of 18 eggs. Day 22 I pulled the plug. In those remaining eggs were 6 chicks that never pipped. Now, I don't know if I killed them, or if I didn't give them enough time. Personally, I will never touch it until the hatchlings are 36 to 48 hours old in the incubator and won't pull the plug on the others until day 24 or 25.... at least until I get more experience.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by