Egg candiling help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jesus freak, Sep 15, 2011.

1. jesus freak

jesus freak Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Idaho
    I recently candled one of my eggs that is in my incubator and found there is a dark spot (which Im guessing is the embryo). but there is no viens just a small blood ring around the bottom. Is it dead? If it is dead what happened?

2. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Sounds like it may have gotten infected. Eggs can get infections if their shell is porous and dirt gets in there. Have you cleaned your incubator thoroughly after the last use? Was the egg clean when you put it in? I once had my hubby accidentally destroy an egg in the incubator on Day 6 and the egg yolk got on the other eggs. All of those eggs died.

3. jesus freak

Aug 20, 2011
    Idaho
    I didnt wash the egg before i put it in am i supposed to?

4. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:I only use eggs from my hens that were laid clean. If there is poop on them then I skip them. I generally don't wash mine for incubation. I hope that helps [​IMG]

5. jesus freak

Aug 20, 2011
    Idaho
    Quote:I only use eggs from my hens that were laid clean. If there is poop on them then I skip them. I generally don't wash mine for incubation. I hope that helps [​IMG]

yes thats helps thanks [​IMG]

6. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I have never washed my eggs and they hatched out just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by