Egg candler suggestions?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kara1015, Dec 7, 2013.

1. kara1015

kara1015 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    New Hampshire
    I've been using cheap flashlight candlers and am thinking about the Brinsea ovaview or ovascope. Are they really worth it? Any other suggestions? Thanks! :)

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    I read in one of the poultry magazines about using a cheap, Nebo LED flashlight. They cost about $5 Sue

3. backyardklukker

backyardklukker Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2013
    Elm Mott, TX
    I use a $30 flashlight I purchased from Home Depot that has 600Lumens. You won't find any light brighter than that unless you rig up a car battery and a headlight in a paper-towl tube! You can use a toilet-paper cardboard tube on top of the flashlight, being careful not to drop the egg through it. They measure lights in Lumens. You can find a much better flashlight with a lot of lumens so you can see through those eggs, than wasting money on an expensive candler device. The more Lumens the light has, the better you can see through the egg. At 600 Lumens, it didn't take me long to piss off my wife with it! I was in trouble for 2 days.....lol...I hope that helps you pick out a good candling device.

4. clairegareth

clairegareth Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2013
    stourport england
    Hi I have just tried candlibg on day 3 and all I can see are what looks like the pores of the egg and maybe the yolk or air sac any suggestions what I should look foror any pics

5. backyardklukker

Dec 6, 2013
    Elm Mott, TX
    You can candle at the end of day 3. I usually do. You need a super bright light, and you will only see a small red dot floating inside, with may a few blood veins extending for short lengths out from the red dot. It's very difficult to see without a super bright light and you may or may not see this in all of them. Waiting until day 5 would be better.

6. clairegareth

Oct 20, 2013
    stourport england
    ok great will leave them a few more days thanks

7. kara1015

kara1015 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    New Hampshire

Does it heat the egg at all? I don't want to harm the embryo.

8. backyardklukker

Dec 6, 2013
    Elm Mott, TX
    No, it doesn't heat the egg. It uses a very small bulb inside it. It's never gotten warm that I even noticed. I've been using it for about 6 months now, and it works very well and has never caused me any problems. It's large, like one of those big flashlights that police officers carry.

9. clairegareth

Oct 20, 2013
    stourport england
    Hi just another thing too at what age after the brooder do u let them.outside

10. backyardklukker

Dec 6, 2013
    Elm Mott, TX
    In the summer over 60 degrees, I do it after they have grown all their base feathers in. When its cold, I wait until atleast 12 weeks. Its more of a preference rather than factual based.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by