Egg Candling and the Law

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by dianehodges, Sep 11, 2012.

1. dianehodges

dianehodges Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2010
    Today I attended an egg candling class in Calhoun Georgia Presented by the Dept of Agriculture approx 2 hrs long no fee and very informative We had some lecture, a written test (study material provided), candled 4 flats of eggs and there was no fee If all goes well, you are presented with a certificate There were 4 classes and all were full The drive up and back was beautiful Great day[​IMG]

1 veteran 1 lab 1 roo 7 hens 1 very old cat

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Wow sounds like a good class. What is the certificate for?

3. Cool! I wish I could find something like that in our area, I kinda just taught myself (and then I got some help from FGE here too).

I can't wait to get a candler. Stupid led flashlight isn't very ideal to say the least.......

4. dianehodges

dianehodges Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2010
    Allows you to market eggs to consumers In Georgia you can sell you eggs to individuals without a license but if you want to sell at a flea market or selling more than 5 cases to anyone you need the certificate

5. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Thats great. I think I'm going to check into our Co-op Ext. Ag. dept. and see if they have anything like that.

6. Jasmine GA

Jasmine GA Just Hatched

Dec 19, 2014
    Hi,

I am interested in taking the class. May I ask if the class is for beginners egg owners or advances egg owners? My memory is not great I am worry I won't pass the test.

Thanks for the input.

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    This is a really old thread. I suggest you contact your county extension agent and talk to them. This is the kind of stuff they should be able to look up.

This candling is to look for egg flaws such as blood spots or meat spots before you sell them. Commercial operations do this electrically. It is not to see how an incubated egg is developing, but I bet you can really see in there with the candling equipment they use.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by